My sister is getting an upper Bleph and doctor says Antibiotics are not necessary. Any suggestions?

This is concerning. Every time I have had any plastic surgery, I was always provided Antibiotics. Is a no- antibiotics surgery safe?

Antibiotics or No Antibiotics After Blepharoplasty

Antibiotics or No Antibiotics After Blepharoplasty is a controversial topic as there is no overwhelming evidence that I am aware of to determine if it makes a difference. If an antibiotic is  prescribed, then only a dose before and up to 24 hours would be the maximum dosage for most prescribing doctors. In short, antibiotics are not necessary nor proven to prevent infection.

Antibiotics and blepharoplasty

I personally do not prescribe oral antibiotics for an upper blepharoplasty. The procedure is performed using sterile technique, and the risk of infection is extraordinarily low. There is no scientific evidence that oral antibiotics are helpful in this circumstance. Things should be fine without them.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

We do provide antibiotics.

However, the risk of infection after eyelid surgery is profoundly low.  There is no evidence that the antibiotic are necessary and I respect surgeon who elect not to routinely prescribe post-operative antibiotics.

Antibiotics for blepharoplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question. Typically, antibiotic ointment is applied to the sutures for one week following blepharoplasty. Usually, Oral antibiotics are not necessary. Physicians may have their own preference. Best of luck with the surgery.

Antibiotics for eyelid surgery

Thank you for the question. The use of oral antibiotics is largely patient and doctor preference. However, topical antibiotic ointment is important -- especially if no oral antibiotics are taken. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Blephs

Good Morning Pretty2468

Thanks for your question. We don't routinely give out antibiotics for this type of surgery. A client is fully assessed, medical history taken and then a judgement is made on whether they are necessary or not.

If your sister is happy with her PS then she should trust that he has given her the correct advice with regards to taking these. It is always a good idea to keep an eye out for infection, as these can and do occur, but she should be followed up after her surgery at prompt intavals to avoid this.

Its lovely that you are there to support her and wish her the best of luck.

Hopefully, you have done your research and chosen an highly qualified surgeon to perform your upper blepharoplasty. So, I would encourage you to trust in his or her recommendation vis a vis antibiotics since they've actually assessed you in person. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Post-operative antibiotics

If you are going to second guess the surgeon even before starting the process, it will be a difficult relationship. If your sister's surgeon thought antibiotics would be a good idea, he or she would prescribe them. If you don't trust the surgeon to make a decision that basic, you should probably change surgeons.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Antibiotics and Blepharoplasty

Thank you for sharing your case.  I do not routinely prescribe oral antibiotics before or after blepharoplasty.  We recommend an antibiotic ointment on the stitches for one week until they are removed.  There is a very low risk of infection with this procedure.  Ask your surgeon about their experience to make sure your sister is comfortable going forward.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Antibiotic for blepharoplasty?

Not every procedure requires antibiotics.  In my practice, I don't use antibiotics for an upper blepharoplasty, which is a superficial and short procedure.  Also, the facial area is very vascular, reducing the risk of infection.  Hope that helps.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS