Is this a significant reduction? What size do you think I am now? (Photo)

Hi. I am 7 days post op and still very swollen. I had a a reduction and lift. My PS believes I was about an F or more post op. The ps removed 1.4lbs from one breast and 1.6lbs from the other. They still look a bit large to me but I'm critical. Is this a significant reduction? If so about what size do you think I'll be?

Breast Reduction in Melbourne, Florida

Thank you for your question regarding your breast reduction result.  Certainly, a reduction in the weight you are describing is a significant reduction.  Keep in mind that you are still very early postop.  It is important to focus on whether the breasts are proportional to you as opposed to the final cup size since cup size is not standardized between brands of bras and therefore, is not a reliable end point.  Overall, my Melbourne, Florida, breast reduction patients are generally very happy with their reductions, especially due to the improved breast appearance and also the relief from the weight of the breasts on the neck and shoulders.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Best of luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction size

There is q significant difference between the pre and post operative photos.  Only after the swelling has subsided will you be able to assess the outcome. Bra sizing is so variable that it has almost no meaning. Focus on the proportionality of the breasts to the rest of your torso. 

What is too little or too much is a personal choice and reviewed preop but intraop one must make a decision in terms of shape and size which would be consistent with your body habitus.  Best to see how things settle after the swelling subsides.

You are still very early in your healing phase and need to give yourself time for the swelling to subside and your tissue settle. No one over the Internet can tell you what size you are/will be since you cannot be measured and bras are not standard sizes. Once your surgeon has cleared you to wear a regular bra, go have yourself properly fitted.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Has Many Benefits! #breastreduction

• You are looking great early on after your breast reduction.  Congratulations!
  • Yes, you had a significant amount of breast tissue removed from each breast!
  • Just look at how much more of your abdomen you can see in the photos that you have posted!
  • Your nipples were close to your navel, and now you can see your whole stomach that was once covered by your breasts. 
  • You are correct:  you are still swollen, and it will take a few MONTHS to see your final results. 
  • We have no idea what cup size you will be at this point.  Also, depending on where you shop for bras, this is highly variable.  Most importantly, cup size is meaningless.  For example:  I've seen women who told me they were wearing a cup J, but their breasts were not nearly as heavy as yours, and it was mostly excess breast skin that was filling up their bra. Thus, cup sizes are dependent on lots of factors...
  • Chances are you will be delighted with your final results. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Breast reduction results are concealed by postop swelling

The swelling can conceal your real postop size.  Also bear in mind that your breasts will "settle" to a certain degree as you move forward to your recovery--i.e., some of the upper pole fullness will dissipate. 

And lastly, it takes a few weeks or even months to become accustomed to your new size.

And should you really want a revision, the consensus is to wait at least six months to make sure that all the swelling is gone, the soft tissue has finally settled, and you have been given enough time to think about the possibility of another surgery.

For additional reference, please feel free to visit the attached link.

Good luck and best wishes.