Would SculpSure be a possible fix for hard, tender lump on abdomen 1.5 years post-lipo?

I had liposuction of the abdomen a year and a half ago which resulted in a hard, tender 5-inch horizontal lump above my belly button. I tried CoolSculpting to get rid of it but it didn't work and I ended up developing debilitating neuropathy. Would Sculpsure be a possible fix for this unsightly problem? I'm even more unhappy with how my stomach looks now than I was before the surgery & only wear flowy tops & extra large swimsuits. It looks like a fat roll where one should not exist!

SculpSure not for treating lumps

SculpSure is a laser that kills off fat cells in the treatment areas so it's not ideal for treating a lump. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have the situation assessed in person and discuss your options. Best of luck.

#sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.  No compression garment required.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. SculpSure attacks and destroys the actual fat cells. It does not physically remove any lumps or bumps. I suggest that you next consult in person with a board certified surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure only targets fat cells

This situation sounds like scar tissue or hyperplasia which can sometimes develop after CoolSculpting.  The laser from SculpSure only targets fat and would not be helpful in this situation.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Lump Complication from Liposuction and CoolSculpting. Will SculpSure Help?

Definitely not. Sorry to hear you developed this problem, which is likely a fibrous scar from fat necrosis. Using SculpSure is only for fat, and would not be indicated for an area with scar tissue. Too much heat could develop in the lump and further injury occur.  A five inch lump should probably be surgically removed.  It might be possible to remove it with a limited incision or an incision in the belly button. But you should be seen by an experienced plastic surgeon to evaluate possible treatment.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Based on your description, it does not sound like SculpSure would be a good option to treat the area.  Firmness after liposuction is likely scar tissue rather than residual fat.  SculpSure (and CoolSculpting) is meant to treat fat.  Make sure you are evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to help determine the best approach to this area.

Naveen Setty, MD

LUMP AFTER LIPO

I do not understand the neuropathy link to what you have had done. If cool sculpting didn't work, SculpSure might not either. Is this fat or loose abdominal wall?

Lawrence Eisenhauer, MD
Encinitas OB/GYN

Hard tissue reaction

Dear Patient, 

thank you very much for the question. SculpSure is high-tech laser treatment of non-invasive lipolysis which needs to be done by a professional.  It is hard to say something without any photograph. You may get this treatment, it may also be couple of treatments but unfortunately to say you may not have it on your scar since those scar area will be extremely sensitive. By the way this 5-inch horizontal lump may be the hard tissue reaction without any fat. I strongly recommend you to visit a professional Plastic Surgeon who works with SculpSure. Only after that you may do right decision. Good luck and greetings from Istanbul, TT

Tunc Tiryaki, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction abdominal lump

Sorry to hear about your belly. Before you embark on another procedure it is important to get an evaluation to make sure this is adipose tissue( fat) versus scarring. After surgical intervention the body tries to heal and develops adhesions or scars that can look lumpy or be hard. Sculpture is a great laser therapy for removing fat and not necessarily fixing abnormalities. Meet with your doctor for a good exam.

Christine Eros, MD
San Diego Family Physician