How can I reduce the size of my areolas without getting further scars?

Hello, I had a BA ten years ago but I had the implants removed 8 years ago. Now I still have scars around the areolas, and the areolas got larger. 

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - reduce the size of my areolas

The only way is with additional surgery, and that will risk leaving more scarring.

But that may be worth it.  Would you prefer to have smaller areolas, but have scars that extend all the way around the areola and possibly down the middle (a "lollipop" incision)?  This incision pattern often produces a result that, despite the additional scarring, is so much more aesthetic that patients are happier.

You should discuss this with one or more board-certified plastic surgeons who can examine you in person and give you specific advice.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Reducing Areola Size

Hello:

Your old scars around your areola can be removed during your areola reduction surgery and a new scar would be created around your areola when the incision is closed.  It is important to close the new incision in multiple layers to remove tension from the surface of the incision, which could help minimize widening of the scar.  Best of luck!

Smaller areolas

If you want smaller areola, then you likely will require an incision all the way around the border of the areola.  Best of luck

Want smaller areolas?

Hello Bridget and thanks for your question. The only way I know to reduce the areola is by using surgery and, of course, this will lead to scarring. However, if you already have incisions around your areola those can be used to partially camouflage the operation making it less noticeable. Best wishes always, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Areola reduction

The areola size can be reduced with an incision around the areola.  Any existing scars will be removed with this technique, and only the new incision will remain.  I suggest a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for more information on this procedure.  The recovery time is minimal.

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for your question.  The areola can be reduced in diameter with an incision around the areola.  If one has preexisting scars in this location it is ususally excised at the same time leaving only one new incision.  

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction

The scars around the areola can be revised and reduced by cutting out the old scars.  As you heal your surgeon should monitor your healing with scar management paying special attention to get the best result possible.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD