Is this scar tissue after my facelift? (Photo)

Hello. It has been 6 days after surgery and I noticed this day 2, my surgeon told me I will not have scar but I doubt he even took a look at it. Any advice will be greatly appreciated Thank you.

Scar tissue?

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  I am presuming that you are referring to the little raised bumpy ridge in front of the ear lobule.  You are a little early in the healing process to have significant scar tissue developed.  However, it is normal when an incision is closed for the skin edges to be raised (everted).  This is done intentionally so that the scar will be even with the surface of the skin, rather than being depressed, once it heals.  The bumpy appearance is likely due to swelling along the incision line that creates impressions where the sutures were crossing over.  Be patient with the healing process.  The swelling will gradually resolve, the incision will flatten, and the bumps should resolve.  It takes some time for an incision to heal and mature.  The resulting scar there should eventually be just a thin fine line that will blend into the natural crease around the ear.  You will be surprised how your body heals itself and how things change over the next few weeks.  Try not to worry yourself.  I wish you the best in your recovery process.  I hope this information is helpful.

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after #Facelift

The recovery will depend in part:

• on what type of #facelift, #necklift, you are had.
  • additional procedures
  • type of anaesthesia
  • age
  • tendency toward bruising
Your picture appears to have a scar in front of your lobule that is slightly hypertrophic. You are still very early in the postoperative course and this will likely improve with time. You can also easily revise this scar in the future if it continues to be prominent. 

Scar after facelift

I do see the little ridge you have I front of your ear, but it will probably improve with time.  If not, a minor scar revision after a few months will take care of it.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Face lift scar

The picture you show at 6 days is not unusual following a facelift and often the area over the tragus is the area that swells initially. It will settle but this can take a number of weeks. Keep in touch with your PS. He/She may well have tried to reassure and if they haven't been able to do this during your first postop visit I am sure they would like to know.
For what its worth the incisions look to have been put in the ideal place for the least visible scar "long term".

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Incision healing

Thank you for the question and photo. Your Plastic Surgeon is likely not as concerned as you because they know that a bumpy, raised looking incision site is normal in the initial phase of healing and we would expect this to settle, flatten and heal very nicely.

Follow your Surgeon's post op advice carefully and try to hold off on evaluating results for at least a few months. Let your Plastic Surgeon know of any concerns or issues.

All the best

Scar after facelift

Hi Seeker, six days is still very early in the healing process. From the picture that you provided, it appears that the scar is healing nicely. It is not uncommon to see mile redness or a railroad track appearance of the scar early in the healing process. This will gradually fade and become virtually unnoticeable. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing properly.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early facelift scarring?

Thank you for your post. It looks like you are healing appropriately for this early phase, and it is common to have a "puffy" appearance at the ear closure site for facelifting procedures. These can be tender for a few weeks, but generally go on to heal very nicely. Your surgeon would like to know about any concerns you have, I'm sure, so reach out the office for the best advice. Best wishes!

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Healing Process

Thank you for your question. The healing process after a facelift typically takes on the order of several weeks to several months for the normal swelling to resolve. I presume you are asking about the part of the incision in front of your earlobe. Sometimes the incision lines can look a little bit rolled like this early on in the recovery process, especially while normal post-operative swelling is still present. At only 6 days after surgery it is still very early in the healing process to accurately assess your incisions. You will always have scar, but it will likely heal and fade over time. You are well on your way to recovery and I wish you the best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Is this scar tissue after my facelift?

At 6 days, you are still very early in the healing process. You seem to be healing well so far. Keep in mind that you are still swollen and your incision won't even begin to flatten and fade until 2 months and won't turn white until 9-12 months. Give your body time to heal and keep any scheduled follow up with your surgeon for his advice and evaluation. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Healing

You are way too early to determine the final healing of your incisions.  Be patient.  Talk with your doctor about your concerns.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon