Scar tissue after rhinoplasty

I received my first rhinoplasty around 15 months ago, and about 8 months ago I had a second surgery to remove some scar tissue. I feel that some of this scar tissue is coming back now and is affecting my nose. It's not noticeable when you look at it but when I touch my nose it doesn't not feel smooth. What can be done about this? Is it still possible that this scar tissue will go away on its own?

Recurrent Scar after Secondary Rhinoplasty

Thanks for the question.  My first advice would be to stop feeling your nose.  With a secondary rhinoplasty, specifically, removal of some scar will often result in some palpable asymmetries over the dorsum of the nose.  I am guessing the initial scarring was above the nasal tip in the supratip area.  My advice is to do massage to the area and followup with your surgeon at a one year followup.  I would be hard pressed to re-operate a third time unless there was a visible deformity.  Trying to achieve a smooth feel after two previous rhinoplasties is often an unattainable pursuit.  If you are happy with the appearance, I would be cautious about any further surgery.

Post Rhionplasty Healing

Thank you for your question. Every patient is different as it relates to the production of fibrous tissue post surgery. It also depends on what was done during your procedure. On average it takes a full year for the final result to be seen, loner on a revision.It can be difficult to stay patient. keep communicating with your surgeon. He or she wants you to have a great result. Follow their instruction. Best wishes.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon