Can I consider scar revision after distorted areolas?

On October 2014 I had a breast lift with 350 CC High profile implants and an aureolas reduction. I have been very unhappy with the scars, I'm seeking recommendations on whether I can consider scar revision even though there doesn't seem to be enough areolar skin left on my left breast.

Scar revision

An areola reduction can be performed to reduce their size. The old scar can be removed and the areola can be reduced. The resulting scar long term may spread a bit like these as well. It is hard to predict.

Breast scar revision

A consultation would be warranted to evaluate the scars and determine whether non surgical modalities could be of some benefit.   I am also curious as to what, if any, postoperative followup was involved in your case.

Periareolar scarring

Pam:Yes you can.  The periareolar scar seems to have spread postoperatively.  This is not uncommon with this lift when performed in conjunction with implants (tension on a scar from the implants does cause it to be thicker/more visible).  It takes 12-18 months for a scar to mature; I would not intervene before that.  After that period, a revision periareolar mastpexy (leaving the implant intact) would do the trick, in addition to perhaps a silicone sheet to offload the tension (check out Embrace scar therapy).  Hope that helps?!

Regina M. Fearmonti, MD
New Braunfels Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision

It certainly is possible to revise the scars. It does look like you have a tendency to produce stretched scars and the downside is that the scars could stretch again. I do believe these could be improved and after 18 months the skin will have expanded and an areola reduction will now be more likely to be successful than having had this done at an earlier time frame. Good luck.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Yes you need a scar revision, it will be better for your areolas appearance! you will look beautiful!
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD