Using Scar Away after tummy tuck.

I am 7 weeks post op from my tummy tuck. I have been using Scar Away for 3 weeks now. I see a big difference in most of the scar area. I was wondering for how much longer I will be needing to apply it.

Scar Therapy Post TT

After tummy tuck surgery, it is important for patients to begin a scar therapy early in the healing process. It is great that you are having great results with your current scar therapy protocol. Other products you might want to try include Embrace Active Scar Defense and bioCorneum. Scar treatments should be applied for one full year after surgery as it takes this amount of time for a scar to fully mature. Remember to follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon to ensure you are healing properly and are satisfied with your results. Congratulations on your new body makeover!

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #Tummytuck

Hello 35graham, Than you for your excellent question! In my office we highly recommend Biocorneum cream for incisions & scars. Biocorneum is the only cream proven effective by the FDA. It has SPF 30 and there is also a steroidal version to reduce inflammation in scars that are reddened and itchy. You will need to use the scar cream for up to a year after your surgery. Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Post-op topical scar medication

This is a frequently asked question.  The literature supports the use of a silicone-based topical scar treatment.  Scars will mature over a period of approximately 12 months.  A majority of the changes occur in the fist 3-6 months, then gradually taper off with time.  I generally recommend using scar treatments for 3-4 months, but there is no time limit depending in patient preference.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon as see what they recommend for you based off of a physical examination of the scar. I would generally keep using it until you are happy with the appearance of your scar. If you are not getting the desired outcome with the cream alone then you may want to consider switching to silicone strips or laser treatments for further reduce the appearance of your scar. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Forever

There is no good answer for this, most would say the scar will mature for out to approx 1 year, other PS would say you could and should use the scar care for the rest of your life. I say, you make that call, use it until you are happy with what it looks like or get tired of using the scar away, then stop. Best of luck

Scar improvement

Most scar gels and treatments are useful during the first 2-3 months after surgery, but are not as effective after that.  

Allen M. Doezie, MD

Simply put

There is no magic answer to your question. Most surgeons would agree that the majority of changes occur within the first 6 months but within that timeframe its hard to give specific endpoints.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions for three months. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS