Will scabs (from me picking) on my skin turn into scars if I have the scabs during my first laser hair removal session (bikini)?

I am getting laser hair removal for my bikini line for the first time in 2 days. I always have ingrowns and now I have little scabs from picking at them. I am worried that the scabs will turn into scars from the laser....(I don't know if that's even possible...?) I'm new to all this. But if it is possible, then I'd like to reschedule when I'm scab-free ( which is hardly ever). So please help!

Scabs Before Laser Hair Removal

It is not advisable to get laser treatment with skin that is not fully intact. Doing so increases the risk of scarring and burns. I hope you are receiving treatment from a laser hair removal expert. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Laser hair removal

I do not recommend doing laser on a skin that is not completely intact as it can increase the risk of burn and scar

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Scabs before laser

You should never get laser done when the skin has not completely healed. Picking at the scabs whether before or after laser can result in discoloration and sometimes also scars. The very fact you have decided to get the laser done, would to be to avoid ingrown hair, scabs and make the skin look smooth and even. Any redundant discoloration can be managed easily by your treating doctor. Hope you are getting the treatment done by a qualified physician, as laser is a medical procedure, and should not be done by a technician, esthetician or nurse.

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

Scabs from picking and LHR

Don't get laser with skin that isn't entirely intact. It will impair the healing and have the potential for burns and scars. Wait for the area to heal before proceeding.

Steven F. Weiner, MD