How can I get rid of under eye bags? Is there a permanent solution? (photo)

I am Male,18 years old. I am having these under eye bags for the past 1 year. I am really loosing my self s\confidence because of this.Please help me with a permanent solution to this.Thank You!

Removing some of the excess fat in your lower lids may be of great benefit.  Often, at the same time, fat can be added to the cheeks just below the eyelid to further improve the "dark circles".  If there are seasonal allergies or other factors that are partially causing your lids to look puffy you should try to control these first before considering surgery.  The incision is made inside of the lid so there is no visible scar should you decide to proceed with surgery.

Under eye bags

It looks like you have excess fatty tissue under your eyes. A transconjunctival lower blepharoplasty surgery would remove this excess fat and looks like the best solution for your anatomy. See a doctor in your area who is experienced with this procedure.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags are genetic, so they can appear at your age or younger, but they can be removed like they were never there

Thank you for your question. You’re 18-years-old and submitted a single photo demonstrating under eye bags. You state you’ve had these eye bags for about a year and they are affecting your confidence.

I can share my approach to evaluating patients like yourself. A little background, I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I’ve been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years and under eye bags is one of the most popular things we deal with in our practice. Half of our patients for under eye bags are men, and it is remarkable how under eye bags transcend age, gender, and ethnicity. I have a lot of experience with eye bags and I will guide you on how I would approach a long-term, permanent solution for someone like yourself.

Let’s first understand a bit about what happened and why it has happened. What happened basically  is the prolapse, or pushing forward, of fat that’s normally around the eyes called lower eyelid fat herniation. This means the under eye bags are the result of fat pockets that have pushed forward. The cause of this, especially in young people, is generally genetics. This doesn’t mean that either of your parents definitely has them, but it does run in families. In fact, I have operated on 3 generations of the same family who had under eye bags. It’s very common, and being in practice for over 20 years, I’ve had the opportunity to help people in terms of their siblings, children, or their parents because of this familial trait.

The definitive procedure that I would offer on someone like you in our practice is something that is a long-term solution, would typically be something called a lower eyelid transconjunctival blepharoplasty. This is a procedure we perform in our office under local anesthesia where I approach the fat pockets from behind the eyelid to avoid external or outside incisions. We are able to address the fat pockets by reducing and sculpting the fat, repositioning fat as is appropriate, and ultimately improving the appearance of the eyes by taking away the under eye bags. Generally, we do this procedure with intravenous sedation, meaning you are not under general anesthesia, but you get an intravenous medication to help you relax. The procedure is generally done in less than an hour, or about an hour, and you are able to go home the same day.

Our facilities are certified by the Joint Commission so the safety and the staff are on par with a top hospital, but in the comfort of a private office setting. People are very often hesitant about pursuing certain surgical procedures because of what they perceive as very intimidating circumstances such as going into a hospital or a surgery center and being one of a lot of people waiting to have surgical procedures. In our practice, we have bypassed that and allow our patients to comfortably and conveniently have these procedures. People come here all over the world for this procedure.

When you ask about a definitive procedure, I would recommend a transconjunctival lower eyelid blepharoplasty performed under local anesthesia and LITE™ sedation. I recommend you meet with qualified, experienced cosmetic surgeons to learn about their approach, and your options. Look at some of their before and after pictures as it is very important to get a sense of the surgeon’s style, their approach, and if there are any other supplementary or complementary procedures that would be of value. Typically, I would just perform the lower eyelid blepharoplasty, and sometimes combine platelet-rich plasma (PRP), which is derived from your own blood and is a concentration of the growth factors for wound healing, to help improve the outcome of the procedure in terms of healing and to improve skin quality and texture, but that is a separate issue and requires a physical examination. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.

This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags -- Restylane or Belotero, Clear+Brilliant/Fraxel, Eclipse Micropen, Viva/Intensif

Fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP can all help to treat this area without surgery.  Please see an expert for a consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Treatment for under eye bags

You have fat bags under the eyes, which can occur in some young people and make them look older.  The best treatment would be removal of the fat bags through an incision hidden inside your lower eyelid so that there is no visible external scar.
Removal of the fat is a once in a lifetime surgery and the results are permanent.  It would also remove the shadow below the fat bag so that your entire lower eyelid area would look smoother.
Best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.
Good luck!

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACSNEw York City

Congenital fat pseudoherniation

Thanks for your photo and question. People can have a small out-pouching of fat leading to bags at a young age. This can run in families. Happily, this is easily treated with a blepharoplasty targeting the fat. This is a permanent solution. An incision on the inside of the eyelid (transconjunctival) can provide access to remove the fat with minimal disturbance to the surrounding lid structures. You should seek a consultation with a facial plastic or occuloplastic surgeon to help you with this problem.  Best of luck getting the natural, rested look you desire.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

How can I get rid of under eye bags? Is there a permanent solution?

A long term solution to under eye bags (orbital fat prolapse) is lower blepharoplasty, which is best done through inside eyelid (transconjunctival) approach with fat repositioning. See following video and link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bags eyelid surgrey

I have been doing the transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty to remove the eyebags permanently with no cuts or sutures on the skin.  Back to work in two days with perfect results.  Cost with operating roon, sedation anesthesia and realted cost around $2500.

Bags under your eyes

Thanks for reaching out.  It looks like your bags might be caused by excess fat from behind your eye. This can be treated permanently with lower blepharoplasty.  It can be done without any scars as well.  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to get an accurate plan.
I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon