Rhinoplasty with graft on the tip. Asymmetry after 2 months, would you recommend revision? (Photo)

I have had a slight reduction, a small septum correction and a graft on the tip of my nose. Would you recommend me to consider a revision? Should I trust my surgeon to do it? When I touch the tip of my nose, I can feel what seems to be the graft which is pointy on my right side and flat on my left side. He only operated one of my nostrils because he thought it was larger than the other. Now it really became uneven because it is far smaller than the other one. Are my concerns well-founded?

Dent and Crooked Nose After Surgery?

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with graft on the tip. Asymmetry after 2 months, would you recommend revision?

Dear PL89

You have significant asymmetry but you are also in the early post op period. My suggestion would be to point out your concerns to your surgeon. be patient and discuss a timeline for revision. If at the end of that timeline you and surgeon decide the results are not satisfactory, then a revision would be reasonable. In general, that period is 9-12 months after open rhinoplasty for revision of the tip.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Need for revision rhinoplasty

There is certainly some asymmetry of your nostrils at this point, but it is too early to assess what the final result may be. It is important to allow the nose to heal and the skin to fully red tape before making any decisions on revision surgery. Have a chat with your surgeon, express your concerns and follow his advice if it seems reasonable to you. The way your surgeon handles your concerns and the quality of his advice will dictate whether you trust him/her to perform a revision of it gets to that.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Revision

Traditionally  it is recommended that rhinoplasty results not be revised for a year after the primary surgery.  There are many variables that might reasonably compel someone to revise surgery earlier but the former statement is the guideline.  The reason to wait is because some asymmetries will be transient as swelling resolves and contraction with healing takes place.  The nasal skin also has to recover from the vascular insult of the initial surgery; if another surgery is performed too soon the skin may be compromised and cause actual death of tissue to occur.

Watch my video below regarding other thoughts.

Usually your primary surgeon is the best one to consult about this matter.

Good Luck

Fred G. Fedok, MD FACS

Revision

The nose,which had an open rhinoplasty has a marked asymmetry of the nostril and an obvious scar.Personally, I never do an open rhinoplasty.
The tip had\s no differentiation from the bridge. The nose looks like one long fleshy amorphous mass..
Your concerns are well founded. You need an expert to correct the nose.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

It is impossible to make any determination about a  revision rhinoplasty  until all the swelling has subsided. This process will take one year before making any  decision about the revision.