Where does Rhinoplasty Debris go during surgery?

When a Doctor is performing rhinoplasty, and area shaving removing or scraping bone and cartilage, how do they remove the scraps/debris extra pieces? Is there a vacuum is it manual? etc. Just curious about the process

Removal of scrap and debries with saline irrigation

Cartilage , bone or trimmed tissue is removed by forceps only. at the nearing end  before taking skin stiches  we irrigate operated area with saline which washes any debries small particles or any small  blood clots. This reduces odema and minimise scaring

India Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. The debris is removed manually and with suction/irrigation.  There is actually much less debris than one may think.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty debris

Many times the tissues are directly trimmed and this are removed as it is performed. I often irrigate out the nose and use a suction to suck out any loose debris from rasping, etc..

Rhinoplasty Debris

Great question!  There are some youtube videos and snapchat videos that show rhinoplasty if you are interested in seeing it.Most of the very small debris gets taken up in the suction.  I often re-use the small pieces of cartilage by crushing them very finely and then placing them in areas that I'd like to appear smoother. Best of luck!Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty debris removal

Most material in rhinoplasty, especially cartilage, is directly removed with forceps. Bony debris from rasping comes out on the rasp and is generally removed with suction. In cases where a lot of rasping has been done, I will irrigate the dorsal pocket to ensure more complete removal. 

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Technical question about rhinopalsty

The debris from rasping during rhinoplasty is rinsed out of the tissues.  We do use suction (vacuum) during surgery to remove fluids such as the saline or antibiotic solution used to do the rinsing referenced above.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD