Rhinoplasty For Bulbous Nasal Tip & Bridge (Photo)

I've recently considered rhinoplasty to minimize my nasal tip and straighten my nasal bridge slightly. My nose is absolutely fine so I do feel bad for asking this question, however I'd be most appreciative of expert opinions about the before and after shots I've created with the Face Touch Up software. Are the after shots achievable/realistic with rhinoplasty? Is an open or close rhinoplasty recommended to achieve these results? Thank you!

Your results seem reasonable...

There is no reason to feel bad about asking a question. I always say that if it is something that bothers you and it can be fixed in a natural and safe way, then you should definitely do it. A well performed rhinoplasty should be able to straighten the bridge and refine the tip similar to what your imaging shows. Be sure to see a rhinoplasty specialist for consultation.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Goals

A cosmetic rhinoplasty can remove and reposition tissue in the nose for better aesthetics. This often involves removing dorsal humps and reshaping the tip. These are big movements that are often intended to create subtle, millimeter changes to the shape of the nose once it heals. The thickness of the nose skin can affect the overall result. Based on your photos, however, your wish pics look reasonable. An open or closed approach is possible, however, an open approach can give better access to the areas of concern. See link below. A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Hello rebecca86 - Thanks for your question. I took a look at your simulations and feel that the results you are looking for are reasonable to achieve. You seem to have altered the tip to a greater extent than the bridge.  A consultation with a rhinoplasty expert in your area for photos and simulations is an appropriate next step. Your procedure could be performed using either an open or closed approach.  Surgeon's have their preferences.  The majority of the rhinoplasties I perform are open procedures, but I use the closed technique frequently if I'm not performing aggressive tip surgery.  You would do well with either approach, but in general, the closed approach involves less tissue injury and a quicker recovery.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Open rhinoplasty

I prefer to use an open approach for rhinoplasty.  Some surgeons still use a closed approach but I think an open approach allows for better visualization and control.

Closed rhinoplasty approach from bulbous nasal tip reduction

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish reduction of the bulbous tip, shaving down the dorsal hump, and narrowing the brace line, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down, and then osteotomies are required to narrow the bridge line and close the open roof created from the hump removal.   Suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal are required to reduce the bulbous nasal tip.    The digital computer images do appear realistic, by a experienced  rhinoplasty surgeon.  For more information in many  before and after examples of closed rhinoplasty, please see the video and the link below

Conservative rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Realistic result expectations

I think the software has done a nice job of creating an attractive "after" image for you and a realistic one at that same time.  Your nose is attractive in the "before" image and even a little more so in the morphed one.  The subtle changes you have made are very nice.  Open v closed.  I think that is more of a surgeon dependent issue.  I think both techniques can get you want you want.  I would used open because I can provide more control and finesse for a nose like yours, but others may get the same result with closed.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Your nose

You need an in person consultation. Your photos are not good enough to give you a decent opinion -- but your tip does not seem bulbous --- but I am sure some tip work could help define it for you. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD