When can I do Rhinoplasty after a facial filler?

I'm planning to do facial filler(nasolabial lines) and rhinoplasty. My question is can I do facial filler a week or two before the rhinoplasty or should I wait longer? I can do the facial filler after rhinoplasty but when is the best time to do it? Thank you!

Timeline Should Be Fine

The facial filler should not impact the rhinoplasty, and in my practice I would be comfortable with filler being placed 1 week prior to surgery, but I would consult with your surgeon.

Facial filler and rhinoplasty procedure

Facial fillers  can be performed either before or after a rhinoplasty procedure.  It is probably best to separate both procedures by at least a few weeks to allow optimum healing for both procedures.

Rhinoplasty and filler

It is best to wait for at least 6 weeks before undergoing a filler treatment.  A rhinoplasty should be performed first and then given an of time to recover which should be at the minimum 3 weeks to 6 weeks prior to doing the further treatment.
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Filler

I don't know of any hard and fast rule, except for common sense.Firstly, you shouldn't do it in the early post operative period due to the swelling and distortion of the tissues which will cloud the doctor's judgment If you do the injection, before the surgery, there is some risk to the filler during surgery, especially when the surgeon is injecting into the area and theoretically during osteotomy at the top of the NL fold.If needed, one can always go back for a touch up after the acute swelling has subsided.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and rhinoplasty

Hi Sharon, thanks for your question. Fillers can be done before or after rhinoplasty surgery. There is no optimal time, but I would probably suggest having them done after your rhinoplasty. The reason for this is that there will be some normal post-operative facial swelling following your rhinoplasty. I suggest you consult your plastic surgeon about this matter before proceeding with either treatment. All the best.

Ian MacArthur, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Filler and rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend that you wait until after your rhinoplasty because you are going to be swollen for quite a while and may not even notice the effects of the filler. It takes about 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. I would wait at least 6 months then have your doctor examine you and approve you to get fillers at this point.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and filler

If you were my patient I would do the nose first and then re-asses the need for fillers after the swelling has gone down. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty and facial filler

Hello and thank you for your question. I think is best to wait until after your rhinoplasty to have the filler done.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty and facial filler

You can do it either before or after should be fine. Best to discuss this with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

In my opinion, I would do the facial fillers after the surgery.  Consult with board certified plastic surgeons for the best result.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD