Is Restylane Silk ever an appropriate treatment for nasolabial lines?

I had initial treatment to n/l lines with Restylane. Wasn't satisfied as lines still showed. Went back in 2 weeks for touchup. Dr was going to add another half syringe of Restylane. I then brought up Restylane Silk and asked if that could be injected closer to the surface. She wound up injecting 1 syringe of Silk only, but I see nothing online about Silk for N/L lines. Did I just waste $700? With swelling looks great, but I worry effect will be gone in a few days when swelling goes down.

Restylane Silk for fine lines

Restylane Silk is perfect for injecting fine lines and I often layer it over a thicker filler such as Restylane when more volume is needed.

Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane Silk

While Silk is indicated for the lips, it can be used in several other areas.  Its thinner, so its better for fine wrinkles and areas with thin skin and mucosa, like the lips.  However, I have used it several times in the Nasolabial folds, and had great results. Typically its used not as a stand alone for areas like these, its more of an additional component to other, more thicker types of fillers. There is also less swelling with Silk, so its likely you will be satisfied with your results, since you are happy now.  Good Luck!

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Silk is fine for NLF

Silk can be used in the NLF and many other places as well. As you stated, because of its properties, it can be injected to improve more superficial lines than the other fillers. Most fillers are used off label and are quite safe to do so.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Restylane Silk

I often used Restylane Silk for fine wrinkles. However, I also use it to "top off" deeper fillers in combination with deeper fillers. Injections are an art and please consult an expert for the best cosmetic results. I often use Belotero as well for these wrinkles as well. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Hi Citrus!

Restylane Silk is for fine lines. If you NLF are very fine, then it would be appropriate to use Silk in that location. I think you've done it right by adding the larger HA Restylane and then the finer Sulk.

Be sure to follow up with your injector in 2 to 3 weeks.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Restylane Silk for Nasolabial Lines

Restylane has developed its line of hyaluronic acid-based fillers to help refine treatment, with Restylane Silk designed optimize the treatment of fine lines around the mouth area. Different fillers have different properties, specifically related to the size of the particles in the gel. Typically, fillers with that contain larger particles are used when treating deep creases and nasolabial folds, whereas Restylane Silk–formulated with a reduced particle size–offers a level of subtle refinement. It is not uncommon for Restylane Silk to be used in conjunction with another filler for an additional enhancement. The benefit really depends on the individual patient.

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Silk for Nasolabial Folds

You can definitely use Restylane Silk for layering on top of a more volumizing filler such as Restylane or Perlane in the nasolabial folds.  Silk is typically used superficially for the fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, chin, or crow's feet.  However, it can be used in many areas of the face safely. 

Janet M. Neigel, MD
Florham Park Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Restylane Silk can be used to treat superficial and fine lines. We often use it over deeper fillers such as Restylane. I doubt if you wasted your money.  It won't be gone in a few days when the swelling goes down. You should be able to achieve a nice result.  If you have any other concerns, please talk to your plastic surgeon.  They want you to be happy and will often do a little touch up if you feel like you need a little more to achieve a desirable result.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Resty

I appreciate your question.

Restylane silk is great for injecting fine lines, nasolabial folds, tear troughs...because of its properties, it can be injected to improve more superficial lines than the other fillers. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Restylane Silk - In Nasolabial Folds?

Thank you for your question. I prefer to inject the thicker Restylane Lyft to the nasolabial folds.  Silk is best for treating fine lines. However, Silk may be injected superficial to a thicker filler for further improvement in the folds. Hope this helps.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS