Why is thorough research on finding a revision rhinoplasty surgeon confusing me more?

I want to get back to my life but after having 2 rhinoplasties, I want to make sure this is the last time a doctor will touch my nose. My first rhinoplasty left me with a crooked tip. The second with alar collapse. I am spending too much time researching. There are many qualified plastic surgeons. But I want someone that will be as concerned with the outcome as me. How should I narrow to three, when many have all the qualifications we are advised to look for?

You should find someone who performs revision rhinoplasty as a large part of their practice also who makes you feel comfortable

It is very difficult to find just the right surgeon, especially after going through it twice before. You should first do your research and find a doctor who performs revision rhinoplasty as a large part of their practice. Look at their before and afters. Also find out if they publish medical artilcles and lecture on revision rhinoplasty. Last and not least, you should feel comfortable with the surgeon and not pick them just because they have a nice website or are "popular" in the media. 

Experience with difficult nose anatomy.

I think that you are looking for trust in a rhinoplasty surgeon that will correct the problems that have been created by other rhinoplasty surgeons, who probably claimed that they would transform your nose to something much better.  And, now it's almost impossible for you to find any confidence in discerning which surgeon you would choose for another revision.  A major problem in the cosmetic surgery industry is the misleading information that many doctors give to the public via their websites.  Almost every doctor claims to be an expert and show photos that make it seem as if all they do is incredible work.  We, in the industry, know that this is not true. 

The only way for you to make a good choice is by having a detailed conversation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, who will talk to you openly and answer you honestly in a very detailed way.  Hopefully, the surgeon you choose will have experience in more than routine rhinoplasty but also nasal reconstruction for complicated deformities like cleft nose deformities.  The surgeon should outline in detail what surgical techniques and maneuvers he or she would employ to correct the problems that you have right now.  I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty and even then it will be a leap of faith because you are entrusting that surgeon to do a good job.  Good luck!

How to find a revision rhinoplasty surgeon

It is best to try to narrow the appointments to 3 rhinoplasty specialists. Look for a surgeon who has decades of  experience performing thousands of rhinoplasty procedures and has dedicated a significant portion of their practice to the endeavor of rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty and  revision rhinoplasty are the hardest operations to perform and the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose wisely since this is your third procedure. Look at the surgeon's before and after photo gallery, ratings, reviews, testimonials, board certifications. It's also important to understand  who is performing  the anesthesia and make sure the procedure being performed in a licensed and certified outpatient surgery center

Finding the Right Rhinoplasty Surgeon

You are correct.  There are a number of "qualified" rhinoplasty surgeons and searching by way of the internet can be a daunting task. It is not always easy to find the right doctor for you. Many of the best rhinoplasty surgeons do not seek publicity, spend time on the lecture circuit, or publish their work. They are simply satisfied to the best surgeons in their community. I would suggest you start the search process by asking your trusted resources for recommendations.  Trusted resources can include physicians, former patients and nurses/employees that work in and around the operating room. Hopefully, a few names will be mentioned over and over. You can then use the internet to preview their practices and their work. Consult with 2-3 physicians and ask them to explain what they plan to do and why.  Ask them about their experience with revision rhinoplasty and nasal reconstruction. Look for at least 10 years of experience. Ask to see "several" before and after photographs. Allow your instincts to judge their sincerity and commitment to your outcome. Best of luck

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Research can be confusing...

It is certainly understandable that one can get confused, especially when looking for a specialized revision rhinoplasty surgeon. There are many board certified surgeons who meet the basic criteria, but if it was my nose I would look for the following - 1. a rhinoplasty surgeon who really specializes on the face - does rhinoplasty every week, 2. a rhinoplasty surgeon with several years of experience performing revision surgery - this is vital because there are several pearls that are learned with experience, and 3. your feeling about him or her when you meet for consultation - is he/she realistic, compassionate, answers all your questions, and has plenty of pictures. Good luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon