RE: removal of 25 year old chin implant

Now i need a facelift, new chin implant and upper lids done. How complicated is it to remove the old implant and replace with new one? also the old one was not exactly done in a perfect way - took the surgeon 3 tries before he got it right.

I need a facelift, new chin implant and upper lids done. How complicated is it to remove the old implant and replace with new on

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts and facial shaping procedures. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.
Conversely, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective. Replacing an older chin implant should not be an issue as long as it's  a silastic implant.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Removal of 25 year old chin implant

Why is it that you need to have your current chin implant removed?  Normally this would not need to be done unless there was an infection present or the implant was in the wrong position.  In regards to removing a chin implant, the ease or difficulty of this depends on the type of implant used.  Silicone implants are typically fairly easy to remove, but implants, such as Medpor, that allow tissue in growth can be difficult to remove.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon