Can a regular doctor drain fluid after Breast Augmentation?

I'm about to be 5 months post op from breast augmentation and my PS never followed up with me. He's a horrible doctor and I don't want to go back to him but now I'm worried that fluid is collecting in my left breast. If I go to a regular doctor and test positive for fluids, is it possible that they can drain it without harming the implant? I really don't want to spend money on another procedure by a PS that my insurance won't cover.

Doctor Answers 8

Can a regular doctor drain fluid after Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think it would be unlikely to find a doctor would be willing to drain fluid from around a breast implant without at least the input of a board-certified plastic surgeon. Your primary care physician may be able to order a test to determine if fluid is there but most surgeons would prefer that a plastic surgeon deal with the fluid that is there. It is possible to have insurance coverage for this and is possible for another plastic surgeon to perform.

Postop seroma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Insurance will likely not cover what was initially a cosmetic procedure. You can call your insurance company and discuss your scenario with them to see if it is an exclusion to your policy. Two options exist. Depending upon the location and size of the fluid collection, it can be aspirated in the office. The risk of doing that is rupture of the implant. A safer way of dealing with it is to remove the implant in the operating under direct vision, minimizing the chance of rupture, removing the implant and then replacing the same implants. I would not recommend anyone else except a plastic surgeon to do this. Other doctors may not be familiar with the situation and may risk injuring the implant.
Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 71 reviews

Fluid and implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your insurance will likely not cover this. You may want to consider going to a radiologist to drain it under direct visualization.  There is always a risk of implant rupture.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

You might also like...

Drain breast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I don't recommend that you allow a nonsurgeon to drain your breast. Perhaps a radiologist using ultrasound could safely drain your breasts. If you are having fluid build up 5 months after surgery, you really need to be seen by a plastic surgeon. I would suggest getting an ultrasound done first to see if you truly have fluid.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Can a regular doctor drain fluid after Breast Augmentation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Not quite sure why there was not follow up.  Patients should follow up with their surgeon after surgery of any kind.  Fluid around the implant is not common so you want to see if in fact that is the case.  Draining fluid around the implant puts the implant at risk of puncture.  A "regular doctor" is not going to do that and I don;t believe many plastic surgeons would either.  You should follow up with your plastic surgeon or another plastic surgeon.  Insurance is not likely to cover this.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Breast augmentation question

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you are concerned that fluid is collecting around your implant you should only see a plastic surgeon to evaluate and possibly treat this. No one else is truly qualified to assess and treat this condition. 

Seroma (fluid) after Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a very tricky procedure that has a very high chance of damaging the implant. Aspirations should only be done by a very experienced plastic surgeon. Occasionally a small incision can be made and the fluid drained under direct vision and highly sterile technique. Ultrasound can also be useful in draining the Seroma (fluid) but unless your doctor has ultrasound, it can be very expensive and would have to be done in a radiology department. I would advise to visit another plastic surgeon to assist you with this problem.

Dell Smith, MD
Twin Falls Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Fluid after breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear that about your experience. It is unlikely that another physician will feel comfortable draining fluid around a breast implant. Another concern is determining why there is fluid 5 months after surgery. I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon to assess what is going on. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.