My question is will my stomach look really bad with just Lipo?

I have a lil extra skin from having my first son but I'm still plan on getting the tummy tuck later on just want to know if my stomach would look bad

Tummy tuck or lipo?

Thank you for the question! If you are concerned about correcting loose skin after pregnancy, you may want to consider a tummy tuck for the most effective results. It is true that liposuction can also remove fat, but it can't fix flabby, hanging skin, which often persists after weight loss or childbirth. In many cases, combining tummy tuck with lipo will enhance the results and give you that amazing flat stomach you've always dreamed of.

As always, an in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Dr. Michael Omidi. Best of luck!

It may be more effective to combine a tummy tuck and liposuction

Hello, and thanks for sharing your question. Although it’s difficult to say without a picture, if you’re concerned about loose or excess skin, getting liposuction on its own could worsen the problem, as there will likely be even more visible skin laxity. If you’re already planning on getting a tummy tuck in the future, my suggestion would be to hold off on liposuction for now and combine the two procedures when you're ready. That way, the tummy tuck can help to remove excess skin and tighten the remaining skin and muscle tissue, while liposuction can remove any unwanted pockets of excess fat. Of course, scheduling an in-office consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will give you a much better idea of the kinds of results that you might be able to expect from liposuction alone. Best of luck!

Lipo or tummy tuck

I can not say without seeing your photos at the minimum. An in office exam is critical. I have treated many people performing lipo only and knowing that eventually they may want to go on to have a tummy tuck.

Bad idea

Although you haven’t sent a photograph, if you truly have excess skin, liposuction alone may not give you the result you are looking for.  While there is always a slight contraction of the skin from doing liposuction, it sounds like you have a bit more, and, if so, a liposuction combined with a skin only tuck can get you the result that you need.  The skin removal can be done through a small scar, just above the pubic area, which could be hidden under a bathing suit bottom and get you the contouring that you want.  Have a frank discussion with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon about your goals, and that way he or she can tailor the procedure to achieve them and make you really happy that you underwent the procedure. 

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction alone vs. tunny tuck

Thank you for your question.  It is really impossible to give you a definitive answer without examining you in person.  Liposuction depends on the skin's natural elasticity and ability to contract after surgery.  Often with pregnancy and weight gain/loss, especially if there are stretch marks present, the skin's ability to contract is limited.  In this situation, the only was to deal with the extra skin is to remove it as in a tummy tuck.  Liposuction alone may result in worsening of the appearance of laxity due to the thinning of the underlying fat layer.  I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss all options that are available to you.  Good luck!

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

If you already have loose skin, liposuction can make it look worse, just depends on your tone and damage from pregnancy. I recommend full consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss options. If you need a tummy tuck, finish your family and have your tummy done. Dont waste money on liposuction now if a TT is in your future. Best wishes. 

Liposuction vs Tummy tuck

Liposuction is used for removing excess fat while tummy tuck removes extra skin and fat.  Usually abdominoplasty is performed after all pregnancies are complete.  

At consultation, one's plastic surgeon will help determine if liposuction would achieve one's goals.

Liposuction alone?

Octavia     Very difficult to evaluate you without photos or physical exam. If you plan on having more children, liposuction should be your best option, save the Tummytuck for after your final pregnancy. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question. Without photos it is difficult to give an opinion however, typically after pregnancy women are better candidates for the Tummy Tuck procedure. The best candidates for liposuction are healthy and relatively fit, have firm, elastic skin and have good muscle tone. I recommend discussing your goals with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Recommend a consultation

Hello and thank you for your question.  If you have skin laxity, then a tummy tuck is generally a better option than liposuction.  If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD