My ps shaved my jaw and chin during smas Facelift, why he did so? Can it be reversed? Is Jaw Implant Safe?

He is said to be top 10 plastic surgeon in usa and then he did that to me. One ps here wrote here "if you do not have a strong chin and gonial angles preoperative to you facelift then the postoperative result may be limited. Many times I will add a chin implant or jaw angle implant at the time of facelift surgery." My results look awful. I just needed little work and he did too much and I believe that he did it on purpose. I had the perfect jaw and chin shape before.

Facelift results

Did you sign off on your surgeon working on your chin or jaw? It is beyond unusual for a surgeon to do work that was not pre-approved by the patient. I would suggest that you get a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can assess you in person. If you are still within 3 months of your surgery, your face is still swollen and this could definitely adversely affect your results. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

NEED BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS

Without before and after photos, we cannot give you an educated opinion.  Every patient is different and the best surgeons will customize their arsenal of techniques to deal with individual needs.  Post your before and after photos for better analysis of your specific problem.

Luis Villar, MD, FACS

SMAS Facelift and jaw surgery - unhappy with result

Thank you for your question about your SMAS face lift.

• This is quite an unusual situation to do jaw surgery.
  • I truly think you will get better advice from a second opinion, in person, than on-line advice without standard before/after photos.
  • As for chin and central jaw implants - they are commonly used and will enhance the result of many face lifts.
  • Depending on when  you had surgery and what was done, part of the problem may be standard post-surgical swelling which will go away.
  • Ask your surgeon for a copy of your operative note and before/after photos to take to your second opinion.
  • And share your concerns with your surgeon so he can understand what is going on and do his best to help you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Jaw bone changes with facelift

Thank you for the question and your story. I sincerely hope that there is some confusion here about what happened... it would be quite unusual for a surgeon to make changes to a part of the face that were not explicitly discussed during your consultation. Please have a frank discussion with your surgeon and request operative notes if this is not possible. 

As a second issue, chin implants and (to a lesser degree) gonial angle implants can be very helpful in certain facelift patients. These implants are typically made of silastic (silicone-plastic) and are placed through small incisions at the time of the lift. They help to add structure and definition to the jawline when a patient has a weak or poorly-defined jaw bone. I will frequently perform small chin implants in female facelift patients. Gonial angle implants are overly masculinizing in my opinion. 

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello j0,

It would not be common for your surgeon to proceed with such an aggressive surgical treatment (shaving down your jaw and chin), without having first going over this with you.  You should definitely discuss your concerns with your surgeon and why this particular procedure was performed if you had not consented to it.  As far as implants, there are both chin implants and jawline implants.  These can provide very nice results and are as safe as other implants.  You should also wait at least 6 months before considering any revision surgery to make sure sufficient swelling is gone so you can get a better appreciation of your swelling.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon