What procedures, either surgical or non-surgical, can tighten loose / extra skin around chin area? (photo)

I've met with 2 surgeons; one suggested lipo of submental fat to help define the area. Another suggested that it's skin laxity from weight loss and aging, that can only be corrected with a face lift, which he said he wouldn't perform at this stage. My fear is that after getting lipo, there will still be excess skin there preventing a defined look. Would love to hear more about specific treatments for cases like this because it seems odd that only a face lift would work.

Skin Tightening Solutions with VASER, ThermiRF, ultrasound

A combination approach would be best. I recommend a formal consultation for VASER liposuction. I find that VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF are best for contouring the chin in those who are candidates but Kybella can be used as an alternative with or without thermage/ultherapy/exilis. See an expert. Best. Dr. Emer

Consider Kybella

Kybella is a non-surgical option for your neck. It is an injection that has been recently approved by the FDA to help improve the appearance of fullness associated with the submental (neck) fat in adults.

During a Kybella treatment, the neck is first cleaned and numbed with topical lidocaine. A pattern is drawn on the neck and the product is injected into the fat pad - dissolving the fat. The body then absorbs the fat over several weeks.

There is swelling, bruising, and some numbness in the area during this time. The injections are usually done once a month and it usually takes 2 to 4 treatments to reach full effect depending on the severity of the fat.

Ideal patients, like you, are young, have fullness of their anterior neck, and have good quality skin. See the link below.

Effective surgical alternatives for submental fat removal include liposuction and direct excision.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

What procedures, either surgical or non-surgical, can tighten loose / extra skin around chin area?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin appears to be weak which can be confirmed with a non smiling profile photo of your face.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  The excess skin and fat (if any) can be removed using the same incision used for placement of the chin implant.

Hope this helps.

NECK LIPOSUCTION

Hi thanks to share your concern.If you had maintained a stable weight for the past 6 months you can opt for neck liposuction of the submental area followed by radiofrequency devices to tighten your skin.however do seek an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and decide the treatment .

Solutions to fullness under/around the chin

Thanks for your question and your photos! I see some "double chin" in your first photo. The 2nd photo, for me, demonstrates only a modest amount of laxity. Certainly, an in-person consultation could sort all that out better.  That being said, for the neck that I see, in someone as young as you appear to be, I would say a facelift is perhaps too much, too soon.  Precision Smart Lipo uses dual-direction lasers to melt fat and tighten dermis with suction liposculpting to remove the fullness. The 3 tiny incisions are are only 1/8" long and should vanish into your skin creases. Down time and cost is less than half of that for a facelift.

Neck Skin

Thank you for posting photos, they are very helpful. By your question it seems as though you have no more fullness and now are just concerned with the excess skin? If you still have fullness you could try Kybella injections which will melt the fat, then do a non-invasive procedure to lift and tighten. Infini is a great device that I have seen work really well in that area. Neck lipo is always a great option as well. Hope this helps.

Alan B. Brackup, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the Neck (submental)

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, it appears that you have a small pocket of fat under your chin.  You would definitely benefit from liposuction and should see a nice retraction and tightening of skin in that area post-procedure. I have performed this procedure numerous times on patients with similar concerns, and the tissue retraction that occurs post-liposuction (especially someone your age) is quite significant. I would not recommend a neck lift that this juncture.  If you still have a little loose skin after liposuction, radio-frequency is an excellent non-surgical option to further tighten the area. 

Please feel free to contact my office for more information, including before and after photos of patients who had similar concerns.

Ariel Ostad MD PC 

Ariel Ostad, MD

Neck tightening

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  I do a lot of procedures to help tighten the neck.  The best procedure for you really depends on the elasticity of her skin.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Options for loose neck skin

Although a necklift will provide you with the most benefit and best longevity, this may not be the best option for you at this point. Fat removal (surgical with liposuction or non-invasively) will improve contour and definition without effecting skin tone. Because of you young age, this may be the best first step at this point for you.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift options

It appears that you have a small amount of fat under the chin which would be amenable to liposuction contouring. However, as you had mentioned the loose skin in the area may not adequately retract. Your choices include laser liposuction, non-invasive radio frequency devices along with Kybella, or a surgical neck lift.  The best choice depends on your expectations and there is no guarantee in results especially with the non-invasive therapies.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                    Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon