What's the best procedure to remove fat under my chin? (Photo)

I've been researching and have found a few procedures, have questions on each and would love a reccomendation for the best method based on my photos. -Kybella: is it worth it? I believe I would need 2x injections that would cost me about $3k -Lipti Lipo Skin Tightening Laser: would this get rid of the fat? -Ultra Neck Lift using radio frequency/ultrasound + deoxycholic acid: is this permanent? Thank you!

What's the best procedure to remove fat under my chin

Thank you for your question. Best option would be liposuction or kybella.  Good candidates for kybella are also good candidates for liposuction.  Patients with good skin tone and mild to moderate fullness will have good results.  Consult with  board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best option for you.

Best Method to Remove Fat under the Chin

I do both the cool-mini and Kybella for the fat under the chin.  If you have a very large area of fat then I would recommend the cool-mini.  You appear to have a smaller area of fat and would do great with Kybella.  I often combine Kybella with Thermage to help tighten the neck and jowls.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question.  I think Kybella is a safe, effective, simple treatment for your under chin fullness, as long as there is some fat palpable there on top of the muscle when you tighten your platysma.  Either way you would probably need 2 treatments of Kybella or 2 treatments with the CoolSculpting Mini.  The Kybella is a permanent result.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question, nwbooty201. Kybella is a great option for removing "double chin" and is the only FDA-approved injectable drug to do so. Kybella provides the convenience of a quick in-office treatment and of a minimal recovery time with little to no discomfort during healing. Please see a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella Info

Kybella is an injection that has been recently approved by the FDA to help improve the appearance of fullness associated with the submental fat of the neck in adults. Young adults, like yourself, with minimal excess fat and good skin tone are usually good candidates.

During a Kybella treatment, the neck is first cleaned and numbed with topical lidocaine. A pattern is drawn on the neck and the product is injected into the fat pad - dissolving the fat. The body then absorbs the fat over several weeks. There is swelling, bruising, and some numbness in the area during this time. The injections are usually done once a month and it can take 2 to 6 treatments to reach full effect depending on the severity of the fat.

The cost is variable depending on the amount of fat to be treated but ranges from $1500 to $1900 per treatment. Looking at your photos I would imagine you would be at the lesser end of this spectrum. Effective alternatives for submental fat removal include liposuction and direct excision. The combination of liposuction with Kybella (deoxycholic acid) is a little outside the box. 

A detailed examination will help delineate the best option. Consultation with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Removing fat under the chin

Based on your photos alone it looks like you might be a great candidate for Kybella.  My personal opinion is that Kybella is an excellent product that is worth the cost.  Yes, Kybella does cost more than other products like Botox or Juvederm.  However, these products are not really in the same category.  Kybella is an actual permanent procedure which should only be performed in the hands of a qualified doctor.  It is a great alternative to something more invasive like liposuction for someone that has an isolated pocket of submental fat.  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to help you in your decision making process.  Best of luck!

Kybella in NEW YORK

Thanks for the question, based on these photos I think you are probably going to be a good candidate for Kybella, with 1-2 treatments  I would need to examine you in the office to really make that determination, but based on these photos I think you could get a good result.

Good Luck

Kybella vs Coolmini vs Liposuction

Fantastic question! Good to know all of your options.
There are multiple factors that go into answering this question...
If there is a lot of fat, liposuction is your best bet. This can be done in-office under local anesthesia.
If surgery is not something you are comfortable with, Coolsculpting would be your best bet financially... as long as the Coolsculpting applicator fits and you are okay with more time to see full results (than liposuction). If your jaw is too small or the amount of fat too little, the CoolMini may not fit.
Lastly, if you have a small amount of fat and the CoolMini applicator doesn't fit your face, I would go with Kybella. There is a significant recovery period with Kybella and the product is not cheap. That is why I reserve it for people with a small amount of submental fat.
My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Ultra Neck Lift Deoxycholic Acid

Sculpsure is the newest non-invasive ultrasound based fat reducer. You can expect up to 20% reduction of the fat in the belly and waist. Neck applications have not been FDA approved yet. Sculpsure may be repeated to obtain greater results obtained 6-8 weeks after the procedure.
Kybella can result in 10-15% reduction of fat similar to Coolshape. No procedure other than liposuction or laser liposuction will tighten the skin.
Liposuction typically reduces 50% of fat in one session. RF treatments like Velashape plus  Deoxycholic Acid the main ingredient of Kybella can result in somewhat more than 15% reduction in the amount of double chin fat.
The most dramatic results in the neck are achieved with a laser/liposuction with Precision tx; results noticeable at ten days.
With all the procedures that you have mentioned the price comes in about the same.  Why not go with what is most effective and produces the fastest results?
Please use this information when consulting in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. They will be most capable of advising what is best for you.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Kybella candidate

Thank you for your question. I would recommend visiting the website to help find a provider for you. I would also ask the practices that you inquire as to their experience with Kybella. As a trainer for Kybella, I spend a lot of time teaching the safe and effective practice of administering Kybella, and assessing patients to help determine if they would be a candidate. As a plastic surgeon, I can also offer different options such as a neck lift and/or liposuction as well as many other non-surgical procedures that can affect the neck such as the Coolsculpting mini, Ulthera and Profound. As with any procedure, the experience and technique is the most important determinant of a good and safe outcome.