What is the best procedure for a 26 year old who wants to regain cheekbone prominence?

What is the best procedure for a 26 year old who wants to regain cheekbones that have lost prominence due to loss of volume/sagging due to excessive sun exposure?

Doctor Answers 9

Fillers vs Fat grafting

Thank you for your question.

It is hard to determine what you would need exaclty without seeing a photo. For volume in the cheeks, you have two options fillers or fat grafting. If you go with fillers it is temporary and usually last around 6-9 months, which may be a way to start and see if you like the result. Fat grafting is a more permanent treatment, which uses your own fat and is re-injected into your cheeks. An in person evaluation would be the best place to start to discuss all options. Good luck.

Greensburg Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 71 reviews

Cheek augmentation

Without in-person exam or photos one can give you only very general advice. Soft tissue fillers may be a good starting point to see how much volume and what area of the cheeks needs augmentation. Next step would be a more permanent solution. If required volume is not significant, fat grafts may be  very good solution in your age because of predictability and long term result. Cheek implants would be next best solution for patient of your age since malar hypoplasia (small cheek bones) is most frequently reason for "loss of volume and sagging". Combination of the implants and fat grafts may be optimal solution for some patients.

You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for clinical evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Improving Cheek Bone Prominence

You have several choices including the injection of fillers such as Voluma and Restylane Lyft, or your own fat or the placement of implants through an incision in the mouth. Consult with a surgeon who uses all these techniques because there are advantages and disadvantages of each.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Best procedure to regain cheekbones

Deeply places fillers such as Radiesse or Restylane Lyft along the cheekbones are the best way to restore the volume that has been lost , creating a nice "lift" for the area. It is often injected in small amounts along the cheekbones at "vector points" to provide the greatest effect. You should see a cosmetic dermatologist for a proper evaluation.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Best procedure for a 26 year old who wants to regain cheekbones that have lost prominence due to loss of volume/sagging?

 Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  

 Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Conversely, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.

 I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

 I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Regaining cheek prominence

Thank you for your question. There are many options for you from fillers to fat grafting to cheek implants. Without a photo it is hard to recommend what may be best for your individual concerns. Sometimes it is nice to start with a filler to see if you like the result before doing something more permanent like fat grafting or implants. Have a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what would give you the result you are seeking. 

Best wishes,

Dr. Marcus Peterson 

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Cheekbone improvement

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  In some patients fillers and/or fat grafting can help.  In other patients malar implants can help more.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

Procedure options to regain cheekbone prominence

Cheek bones can be made more prominent by a couple of different methods.  Implants can be surgically placed to give the most permanent result but it is also possible to use fillers to augment the cheek bones as well.  An examination or photos of you would be needed to give you further advice.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Getting Cheeky with Facial fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill): Sculptra, implants or fat for cheek augmentation

I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial contouring expert. Facial fullness can be improved with well-placed fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill): Sculptra, implants or fat. Sun damage can be treated with lasers, microneedling/prp and skin care. See a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.