Will prior surgery with implants make buccal fat removal dangerous?

Will medpor cheek or pyreform aperture implants make buccal fat removal dangerous due to the incision location and the possibility of exposing the medpor to open air? I'm very frightened of infection but want to know if it's avoidable or not a concern if a surgeon has to make in an incision there. I can feel the pocket around the mid cheek when I feel inside my mouth & see it in the mirror. #medpor #porex #buccal fat removal #prior surgery #infection #incision

Will prior surgery with implants make buccal fat removal dangerous? = not necessarily #buccalfatremoval #chubbycheeks

Technically, surgery to place medpore cheek and pyriform implants should not interfere or make the buccal fat removal surgery to be more difficult or dangerous. The reason is the location of the incisions inside the mouth for both surgery.Medpore cheek and/or pyriform aperture implants are placed through an incision in the oral mucosa at the level of the "sulcus", where the mucosa attached to the gums folds to become the cheeks. For the buccal fat removal, the incision is made in the buccal mucosa ( mucosa of the cheeks) far away from the buccal sulcus and bellow the parotid gland tube opening). Therefore this second surgery should not be technically interfered by the first one  ( medpore implant placement)

Buccal fat pad removal - cheek implants - medpor - Bichat fat pad

your implants were inserted onto your cheek bone and onto the maxilla. the incision to remove your buccal fat pad is anatomically at a complete different location. whartin's duct (ie the duct of the parotid gland) is located nearby, and is preserved during your planned procedure. mention your concerns during your preop exam, i am sure your surgeon will be happy to address them.
i hope this helped!best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Prior implants and buccal fat pad removal

The incisions will be in different locations.  The incision for placement of your implants was along the gum line - the incision for the buccal fat pads is in a completely different location.  Pointing this out during your consult will help your doc go over the anatomic locations and issues with each particular procedure.  You should do well, nothing to be concerned of, but it is always better to be an informed patient! Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Buccal fat removal - will it affect an existing cheek implant

Thank you for asking about your buccal fat removal.Your cheek and pyriform aperture implants should not be in the mid-cheek but over the cheek and maxillary bones. But please point them out to your surgeon at the time of your buccal fat pad removal consultation to be sure they are in the correct position.  You should definitely have antibiotics before buccal fat removal to protect the implants. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC