What can I do to prevent capsule contraction from progressing getting worse?

my implants are for 32 years old, just noticed today in only one breast ~ capsule contraction. What can I do to prevent capsule contraction from getting worse or what can I do to reverse it? I saw a recommendation to use Singular, Aleve and Vitamin E. What is the possibility that will help?

Doctor Answers 5

Capsular contracture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Unfortunately, a capsular contracture will not just go away or get better on its own. It usually requires removal.

New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

What can I do to prevent capsule contraction from progressing getting worse?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello! Thank you for your question! Recurrent capsular contracture is a very difficult problem. Assuming you tried conservative measures in the past - implant massage and may add the medication Singulair and Vitamin E. If these fail, surgical correction may be necessary. It is a matter of surgeon preference as well as what is seen during your procedure that will determine whether or not a complete capsulectomy is performed. If significant capsule formation is seen intraoperatively, a full capule removal may be warranted with a drain in order to completely remove all of the tissue and allow better adherence of your breast back to its normal anatomic position down on your chest wall. Irrigating with certain medications may also be if benefit. Some other things that may have been tried include changing the position of your implant, addition of a dermal matrix, or consideration for the the shaped, textured, anatomical gel implants.

Without knowing your issues and without an examination, it is difficult to tell you what may be the best thing for you. I tend to favor performing capsulectomies in order to create a fresh pocket, reshape the pocket, allow better shape and adherence of the overlying breast. I would discuss your issues with your plastic surgeon who will assist you in determining the right modality for you. It may continue to occur despite all of these modalities and consideration for explantation or living with the contracture are options. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Sign of ruptured implants.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello Debra. I'm sorry to hear about your CC after 32 years. The medications you mentioned are not likely to work this far along and the CC is likely a sign that your implant is ruptured or leaking in some way. I think you should consider seeing a plastic surgeon for an in-person examination and getting their advice. You may also need imaging to determine what is going on with your breast implants. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 215 reviews

Preventing capsular contraction.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There is no sure fire way to prevent capsular contraction.  You can try Singular, etc.  If implants are in front of the the muscle, they can be repositioned behind/under the muscle.  If the implants are smooth surfaced, replacing them with textured surface implants may help as well.  Usually capsular contraction requires surgical intervention to improve.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Prevent Capsular Contracture

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 With 32-year-old implants, my recommendation would be to remove the implant capsule as well as all the implant material as it would be a very high likelihood that both implants are broken. It would be, in my opinion, a waste of time to try any of these medications in light of an underlying problem that needs to be remedied. I would seek the counsel of a board-certified plastic surgeon in your region with experience in revision breast surgery. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS
Louisville Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 58 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.