Preparing for liposuction of the outer thighs? What to do pre-op and post-op?

I am having tumescent liposuction/liposculpture using micro-cannulas. My doctor has informed me about the procedure but I'd like to learn as much as possible. What tips do you have to prepare, not bruise as much, and get the best results possible. Any information will be appreciated.

Preparing for outer thigh liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• The best person to prepare you for surgery is your own surgeon.
  • You will need a ride home and probably will near to wear a compression garment for 2 weeks or longer.
  • If your surgeon approves, you can take arnica to reduce bruising but often in this area, bruising is minimal.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What to do pre and post-op? Discuss with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question.  Most plastic surgeons will supply their patients with pre and post operative instructions that will include specific recommendations and a list of do's and do not's.  In general, patients should avoid NSAIDs and any blood thinners prior to surgery.  With that said, if you are taking prescribed blood thinners, including baby aspirin, you should defer to your medical doctor before discontinuing their use.  Patients should also avoid use of any nicotine containing products.  Some surgeons might recommend use of arnica to help prevent excessive bruising, but you should always consult with your board certified operating plastic surgeon before beginning any pre-surgical regimens.  You can also discuss your surgeon's philosophy regarding post-operative compression garments to help reduce swelling after surgery and it is important to know what activity restrictions, if any, your surgeon might impose after your procedure.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best on your upcoming procedure.

Liposuction preop

Some things that I instruct my patients to do is to avoid medications that can cause bleeding and to eat healthy prior to surgery. Each surgeon will have his own instructions.  Best of luck.

Preparing for liposuction

Your surgeon should have a list of dos and donts. Refrain from salt, wear the compression garment as instructed, do not take pain relievers containing blood thinners (i.e.-aspirin) and be patient as to your recovery. It won't happen overnight.

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre op and post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon