What can I do to prepare for lipo to get the best results? (36, 6'1 210 lbs 30% bf). (Photos)

In my 20s, I was ~185/18% & that is my goal (30s was 195). Lipo will remove exercise-resistant fat, but I want to do my part to achieve the best long term body shape (e.g., diet for visceral fat). For good long term results with minimum skin sagging: Should I lose weight before or after surgery? Is it easier to work on a fatter pt? Is it easier to do gyno surgery on a more muscular pt? Whose outcome is better? How many Ls could be removed on me (i.e.,how much do I need to lose on my own?)

Liposuction - getting the best result

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Getting back to 185 may be easy but staying there may be hard -
  • So how about this -
  • Lose weight to 205 before liposuction -
  • Then after liposuction, lose another ten pounds to 195 and concentrate on staying there.
  • If you do this, fat will not return to new areas and you will get an excellent result.
  • Then if you do get down to 185, you will look even better but skin should remain tight.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lipo

It is always better to get to your goal weight first and then decide what can be done. Yes, liposuction can be performed at this weight, but if you are planning to lose weight then I think it might be best to do that first.

Liposuction

Hello and thank you for your question.  Based on your photographs, you are a great candidate for liposuction at your current weight.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What can I do to prepare for lipo to get the best results? (36, 6'1 210 lbs 30% bf).

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD