Should I get a post and crown or an implant? (Photo)

I had a crack in tooth #5. My dentist tried to do a root canal but couldn't find the canals because the tooth is calcified. He sent me to an endodontist who cleaned out the canals & placed a marker at the end of the crack. My dentist recommends saving the tooth, but some gum surgery will be needed. The root canal cost $1000 so far and $1000 more to finish. The crown will be more than $1840. (I had a crown on #3 (no root canal or surgery) and it cost $1840, so this will be more.) I'm 56

Doctor Answers 3

Dental Implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
In this scenario I would certainly consider a dental implant. You will have a much better outcome in the end, but it will take about 8-9 months to compete.  Good luck.  

Root canal vs. implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It seems that your cost for root canal, crown, and crown lengthening surgery is going to be around 5-6 k with an fair prognosis. The cost of an implant and crown is probably 7-8k with a much more predictable outcome. If you were 80 I'd say keep the tooth. You have a long life ahead of you. For the slight difference in cost I would go with the more predictable result.

Vicki Borowski, DDS
Dallas Dentist

Cracked tooth. implant. crown. toot canal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
  • Dear sheluma:

It is always difficult to give an answer based on a single x-ray. A physical, clinical examination is needed for a definitive diagnosis. However, this x-ray  suggest that this tooth is readily savable with a crown,  probably even without crown lengthening surgery. Having the tooth extracted and an implant placed instead will not be any cheaper. If  your dentist is not comfortable performing the procedure, seek the advice of a prosthodontist who is the expert in cosmetic restorative and Implant Dentistry.  It is always best to get a second opinion, especially from an expert in the field.   Just look up a prosthodontist in your area and going for a proper second opinion.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.