Do I have a polly beak? (Photo)

I had a primary closed rhinoplasty in 2010, with a few steroid injections later to reduce swelling. Before my surgery the tip was higher at the end but now it looks like the tip droops and there is a bulge before the end. Do I have a polly beak? I heard that a polly beak can be caused by removing too much of the structures of the tip and it makes it droop, and that tip drooping can worsen as you get older. Would I benefit from a revision rhinoplasty? Would it need to be open or closed?

Polly Beak Deformity

A polly beak deformity is a dorsal nasal convexity in the supratip area, or more simply put, unwanted fullness just above the nasal tip. This is most commonly caused by a lack of support in the nasal tip that results in a decrease in nasal tip height and a relative prominence in the supratip area secondary to the dorsal septum. Correction of this type of deformity involves either increasing nasal tip support and height or lowering the dorsal septum in the supratip area. The specific procedure necessary depends on patient specific anatomy.

Polly beak

You do not have a polly beak. You have very slight under projection of your tip relative to the dorsal profile. If it bothers you it can probably be improved with some tip augmentation through a closed approach.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Slight polly beak

You have a slight polly beak. If you want correction then you might need a revision using an open approach to get better visualization of the issues causing this.

Pollybeak

Hi,

You have a very slight pollybeak with no supratip break... I dont think steroids would help. Although this can be improved though a closed rhinoplasty appoach, you would get better results through an open approach. 

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Closed Rhinoplasty Concerns

Thanks for you post and questions. From my perspective, you do not have a classic polly beak deformity. Sometimes with a closed procedure the cartilaginous portion of your dorsum is left a bit too high because it is difficult to visualize the exact height. In addition, you may have lost some tip support over time, especially since your skin is somewhat thicker and prone to scar tissue in the tip region. Overall however, you appear to have a nice result. If you wish to have further refinement in the areas of concern, I would consider a revision rhinoplasty through an open approach. Areas to improve would include shaving cartilaginous dorsum to a soft profile, removing any scar/ fibrous tissue in the supra-tip, and placing a strut cartilage graft for better tip support. Suture modification for the tip and columella may enhance the shape as well. Consult with an experience revision specialist and discuss your concerns. A thoughtful approach may suggest the benefit of a revision if your concerns continue to bother you. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon