It is normal stitches look like cysts? (Photos)

My stitch on my breast line is very high looking like a cyst and my doctor said it is because I'm too skinny and hurts too much. Is that correct?

Incisions and Scars

It may take several months for a patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.Now, it is unfortunate that your surgeon may not be willing to work with your for the healing of your incisions and scars, but there are certainly some of these things you can do to care for them yourself in the healing process. If it comes right down to it and your surgeon will not listen to your questions about discomfort or healing, you may have to request the advice of another surgeon in person in order to make sure your healing is progressing smoothly. Best of luck!

Protruding suture after surgery

Thank you for asking about your protruding suture.
  • I do not agree with your surgeon.
  • I assume you have had a tummy tuck - 
  • It  appears the suture knot of the suture used to tighten the muscle has risen near your skin.
  • If the suture is absorbable, it will go away with time.
  • If it is not absorbable, your surgeon needs to make a small incision and remove the suture knot.
  • Otherwise it will eventually make a little opening in your skin as your body tries to get rid of it and the opening will not heal until the suture knot is removed.
  • Since it is painful, it is probably already very close to the surface of your skin.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS