Abdominoplasty for massive weight loss patients?

What approach you you take when operating on massive weight loss patients? I have already had an abdominoplasty with very poor results. I think my issue is that when I'm laying flat my stomach looks flat but when I am sitting or standing there is lose skin! I'm thinking a surgeon would be best who could sit me up during the next abdominoplasty to make sure there are no bulges?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after tummy tuck surgery. As you know, patients who have experienced significant weight loss also lose skin elasticity (sometimes limiting the quality of the outcome that can be achieved with tummy tuck surgery).  Although the goal is to achieve as "flat" of a result as possible, patients should be aware that in the sitting or flexed position some skin "redundancy" should be expected.

Best to address your concerns with your plastic surgeon; hopefully, working together you will come up with a plan to improve your outcome. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck Revision for a Massive Weight Loss Patient

Certainly, you could undergo another surgery to remove the excess bulges.    Approach your plastic surgeon, knowing that a revision is sometimes necessary for a massive weight loss patient in order to achieve the best results.  Your doctor probably removed what was safe to remove in order to allow you to heal well.   If a doctor were to be overly aggressive with a massive weight patient by removing ALL of the skin bulges, you might have had significant wound healing problems.   Discuss with your doctor the areas that you are unhappy with.   Show him/her those areas with you standing, sitting, and bending over.   If you do undergo a revision, have your doctor mark the areas that will be cut out with you standing and then check them with you bending over and with you sitting.  In surgery, your doctor can check whether enough skin/fat was removed by sitting you up in the operating room, which I always do.   A revision surgery will be able to refine your results.

Best Wishes!

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your results. Following a tummy tuck there should not be an excessive amount of extra skin. I would discuss with your plastic surgeon what results you can achieve with a revision. If you are not comfortable going back to your surgeon I would suggest seeking a second opinion. Best Wishes Theodore T. Nyame MD  Harvard Trained Plastic Surgeon

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. The goal of a tummy tuck after massive weight loss should be a tight and flat abdomen.  If your surgery was recent, then go back to your surgeon for re-evaluation.  If you are still not happy, then seek out a second opinion.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD