Why do many plastic surgeons prefer Mentor to Natrelle?

I've asked around a lot and it appears that the majority of board certified surgeons in the U.S. have a strong affinity for Mentor Memory Gel. Is it because Mentor is cheaper to acquire and hence higher profit margins? I understand that Mentor has better customer service, warranty and has been around longer than INSPIRA but the quality of Natrelle products, INSPIRA in particular with its narrower base + high projection as well as more densely filled implants makes them superior in my opinion.

Implant company selection

There are a variety of reasons why some surgeons prefer one company over another, but I am comfortable saying that "higher profit margins" is not a reason for the decision.  There are very slight differences between all the implants and it is best to speak to your surgeon about which company he/she prefers. 

Implants

It is like Coke vs Pepsi.  It's a matter of personal preference.  The implants IMO are very similar.  Best of luck.

Thank you for the question.  Personally, I think that careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication goals are  the two most important "factors" when it comes to achieving the desired outcome with breast augmentation surgery.   The specific breast implant manufacturer and even type of breast implant are far less important factors, in my opinion.  All of the FDA approved breast implant manufacturers provide good products.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, 

I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Choosing between Mentor & Allergan

Hi Bunnygirl

As you point out, there are some dimensional differences between the two major implant companies for their equivalent projection ranges. I'm unaware of any significant price differences between Mentor and Allergan (for the same number of implants per year) in Sydney.

Most Specialist Plastic Surgeons that really understand the differences between the implant companies will educate you that the main difference is the method of providing texturing to textured implants. Allergan uses Biocell texturing (which is a salt loss method) and Mentor uses imprinting. This results in Allergan shells being much more deeply textured. This sounds like a good thing, but it has not actually resulted in demonstrable decreases in either capsular contracture nor rotation of implants. Actually conversely, it has resulted in double capsules being almost universally related to Allergan implants, and a possible link to increased risk of ALCL.

I use Mentor implants almost universally for the above reasons.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Mentor vs Allergan

Both are great implants.  I use the designer based on the tissue characteristics of  the patient.  Some patients are better suited for one over another.

I recommend an in-office examination and a detailed discussion with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Implant choice

I use all manufacturers implants. The costs to me is the same, and I use ones that I think is best for the patient. Mentor and Allergan and even Sientra's implants are all good.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Which companies implants

I believe that the implants made by Allergan, Sientra, and Mentor are very similar in quality. I happen to like the Inspira implant and Sientra's implants more, as I like the results of a more filled implant on a thin woman without much cover. A lot of my preferences are based on the quality of the representative for the company. The one that gives the best support to my practice and my patients. (for example, if a patient decides shortly after surgery to change sizes, the rep is there to support the change). There is not a significant difference in price so I do not believe that is the issue. I would look for a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with experience in the procedure.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Implant choice

Hello and thank you for your question. I have used both (and Sientra) with great results.  A large part of the implant choice depends on your individual breast anatomy and shape.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Mentor or Allergan

I have used both. They both have great products. The anatomically shaped implants 410 are superior in my opinion. But it depends on the company rep and customer service as the prices are not that much different.

Good Luck!

Mentor

Hi
in my experience having used both types, the Allergan implants have a slightly higher chance and tendency to form pseudo capsule around the implant.
otherwise they are both very similar in feel and shapes
i hope that helps