Can plastic surgeon insert chin implant or I should choose facial plastic surgeon?

A little confused

Either surgeon can do the procedure. However however chose for a surgeon with experience and whose results you like for the procedure you are interested in.

Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Plastic Surgeons Have Training in Aesthetics

Both facial plastic surgeons and plastic surgeons should be qualified to place a chin implant.  It is important to choose a surgeon that you trust and dedicated his practice to facial aesthetics.  Your face should be evaluated precisely to ensure that your chin implant is in balance and harmony with the rest of your features. I hope this helps.

Plastic surgeons are trained to perform facial surgery. Some plastic surgeons undergo additional craniomaxillofacial training which results in 7 to 10 years of surgical training. A facial plastic surgeon is an ENT surgeon who completed core training in otolaryngology and possibly a 1 year fellowship in additional facial surgery. They are all trained to perform facial implant surgery. I hope this helps.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Both a facial plastic surgeons and a plastic surgeons can perform chin implant procedures.  Just make sure he or she is board certified in these specialties.  Many offering aesthetic services will advertise board certification but they are not certified in facial plastic surgery or plastic surgery.The attached link provides more information.I hope this helps.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Are you a candidate for a Chin Implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant expert

Look for either a facial plastic surgeon, or a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in chin implant placement for best results. The experience of the surgeon matters much more than whether or not they're board-certified in plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery. Look at the surgeon's before and after photo gallery  to make sure you see what you like. Chin implants are usually composed of Silastic, and are inserted through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. For more information and many before and after chin implant results, please see the link and the video below

Chin implant

Of course a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is trained in chin augmentation. Facial Plastic Surgeons are no better or worse in doing that surgery.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon