Will pin points, orange peel texture, irritation, red bumps/acne blotches & redness subside after Sciton Profractional? (Photo)

1 month has passed since I did the treatment.Im a fair skinned,29 y/o female who had very minor acne scarring on my cheeks and slight facial redness.I am so disappointed.Hardly any improvement to my scars and I'm experiencing tons of pinpoint holes and red, bumpy blotches (similar to heat rash) in areas that were once porcelain smooth! Where is this irritation/acne coming from?Have I lost my beautiful freckles forever?Will I ever tan again?Will this orange peel texture ever smooth back out?HELP!

Recovery after Pro Fractional Therapy

Thank you for your question akrcook. The Pro Fractional Therapy works well to treat uneven texture and color of the skin. The treatment creates microscopic holes in the skin surface which can be seen on close up. This is completely normal. Acneiform irritation can occur if excessive amounts of an occlusive moisturizer such as Vaseline or Aquaphor are used during the recovery period. When patients decrease or stop using these products, this irritation normally goes away. The texture will improve with time.Pro Fractional Therapy works on acne scars and on discoloration. It is difficult to treat acne scars without removing sun damage or freckles. I discuss this with patients before their treatment. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Healing from a Profractional

It can 4-6 weeks to heal from a profractional laser. After the treatment, your skin becomes hyper-sensitive.  Your skin will eventually go back to normal the markings will subside and the texture will get better.  You may be developing the break outs due to the skin care products you are using, again your skin is very sensitive at this point.  Stay patient, stay out of the sun for now, and give it time things will go back to normal.  Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon