Nose swelling or asymmetry 10 days post rhinoplasty? (Photos)

Hello, I did a rhinoplasty 10 days ago to work on my tip (no bone breaking). I removed the tapes last night and I had an instant panic attack because I spent all my savings on this surgery to address the issue that's still visible: I believe both sides do not look the same, one side (marked in the pics) is round, bulbous, and not straight. I understand there will be swelling after 10 days but how likely is it for the round side to straighten up? Thank you!

10 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only ten days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Post op nasal tip swelling

It can take anywhere form 6 months to a year for the swelling to fully subside and in general, the tip is the last area to heal. 10 days post op is just too soon to judge. Be patient and kind to yourself as your body continues to heal despite how frustrating I know that advice is.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

Your 10 day result looks good. Be patient. The swelling will subside. Sleep with head of bed elevated follow your doctors instructions. Usually taping the nose helps.

Rhinoplasty results

It can take a year or longer for the swelling to subside in the nose and especially in the tip. Best to be patient with the results.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

The final result of your rhinoplasty surgery should be judged at the 1 year mark with before and after photos. 10 days is much too early as there will be significant swelling. There is an excellent chance that the rounded side becomes more refined as the swelling subsides.

Dr. Brace

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-operative rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  At 10 days post-op, you still have quite a bit of swelling in the nasal tip and the surrounding areas of the nose.  It is not uncommon, at all, to have some asymmetry in the nose simply because of this swelling.  Over the next 6 months to 1 year, the swelling will subside and resolve resulting in the new look of your nose.  I would not judge the appearance of your nose at this point to be your final outcome.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and follow his/her post-operative instructions.  

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon