My nose is huge & the only way to make it look better is to cut partial cartilage into middle of my nose. Any suggestion?(photo)

I am an asian female student with huge nose. I think cut part of nostrils and cartilage and/or bones in my nose to make my nose thinner and smaller. I do not want put anything into my nose including ear cartilage. I do not care how the nose tip look like; instead, I want my nose to be smaller. However I am so worried about what will happen to the cartilage within my nose after part of them was cut. (tissue and shift problem!!!) Also the right pic is my ideal nose, can it be possible?

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Asian Rhinoplasty

Reshaping the nose during Asian rhinoplasty does require a great deal of technical expertise, but is something that is done frequently by a rhinoplasty specialist experienced with Asian noses. Based on your photos you will be able to achieve the changes you seek by using grafts from your own body (rib cartilage, fascia) to augment your bridge, refine your tip, and reduce the size of your ala.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Thank you for your question. Changing one part of your nasal aesthetics may affect other parts of your nasal anatomy. I believe a balanced approach that addresses your broad bony base with a more modest procedure to address the tip would be the best approach. I would consider a dorsal augmentation with cartilage but is sounds like you would not be interested in that. I would schedule a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon to determine the best operative approach.

Best Wishes
Theodore T. Nyame MD   

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Asian rhinoplasty

I understand your concerns and there are surgical techniques that may be helpful: 

• Your nasal bones  need to be reduced
  • Your bridge cartilage will be remodeled
  • Although you don't care about your tip it must be refined to give you an attractive appearance 
  • Alar flare reduction would serve you well
Good luck

Making a nose smaller by removing the cartilage

The nostrils can be narrowed by simply removing the soft tissue. For the nasal tip, removing cartilage will only make the nose look wider and flatter. The reason Asian noses can look wide is due to the weakness of the internal cartilages. Removing them will exaggerate this problem. The reason cartilage is placed into the nose is to make the current structures stronger and left the skin higher to give a narrower appearance. The cartilage can be placed deep, away from the skin surface so that it won't be visible. Internal cartilage can be used so that you don't have an ear incision.

Charles S. Lee, MD