Perlane filler in cheeks almost 3 months old and I still have chipmunk cheeks. Any suggestions? (photos)

Leaving the 28th for my wedding on October 3rd. My doctor says she doesn't want to dissolve my filler. What should I do about the filler in my cheeks my smile is still very altered. I want to be able to smile normal on my wedding day in less than two weeks. Are there complications for dissolving the filler? I need advice. I also live in Manhattan.

Perlane filler in cheeks almost 3 months old and I still have chipmunk cheeks. Any suggestions?

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissue layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

The only way to reduce the Perlane (Restylane Lift) is with injections of hyaluronidase.  Injecting dermal fillers towards the outside of the cheeks only makes the face appear more broad and masculine, not feminine as desired.

Hope this helps

Dissolving Perlane

Hylenex and Vitrase are the 2 commercial forms of hyaluronidase that will dissolve Perlane.  It slowly gets absorbed by the body, although this can take a long time.  If you are not happy with the outcome of your procedure and your doctor doesn't want to dissolve the product, you should see a different injector who can inject just enough hyaluronidase to slightly bring the volume of your cheeks down so that you can be confident smiling and enjoy your wedding day.  It is a safe procedure but the key is not to remove all the filler.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon