Outer thigh fat due to fat or fascia? Will liposuction work? (Photo)

23yrs 5'7 in height and weigh 173 lbs. Lower outer thigh muscles look prominent when I tighten them. Is it fascia lata or is there fat that can be removed? Very heavy thighs about 25 inches in circumference. Can I expect 4 inches loss from liposuction? Also just to mention I don't have cellulite. Planning for circumferential thigh liposuction( only cuz I have the front bulge. Dont know if just inner n outer thigh lipo alone will work) I've also shown the skin pinch test for a better visual idea.

Liposuction of thighs

Liposuction removes excess subcutaneous fat.  Outer thigh or saddlebags are a common area for women to have excess fat distribution.  Circumferential liposuction address excess fat in the inner, outer, anterior and posterior thighs depending on patient desires and anatomy.  Reducing inches from liposuction is difficult to adequately predict especially in photos.  At consultation, you and your plastic surgeon can discuss realistic expectations after examination.

Liposuction for lower outer thighs?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Great question -
  • You truly need an examination to know if you are seeing fascia or fat.
  • It is probably fascia - the fascia lata extends from just below the hip and goes down to the knee on the outside of the leg and rarely has much fat over it.
  • I think a carefully done circumferential liposuction seems a very good choice.
  • I think if you only have a medial and inner liposuction, the thigh proportions will not look pretty.
  • One can't predict easily how many inches will come off the thighs - 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Hello and thank you for your question. You may be a candidate for a liposuction.  Only an in-person examination can truly answer your question.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thigh liposuction

You would have to be seen in person to determine what might be best for you. One cannot predict how much smaller the leg will get in terms of inches lost, but you should be prepared for some swelling for several months.