Otoplasty revision question - need help deciding on which type of procedure. (photos)

Original surgery went ok, but am shaving head and noticed that without hair, ears still stick out a lot. Surgeon suggested reducing ear size too, but I just opted to pin to avoid scars. Still don't want risks of macrotia surgery, but I understand it's harder to pin upper ear. If my ears were smaller, I would not seek revision. I photoshopped an overcorrected "after photo" - would be happy with this or bit more conservative result. Possible with pinning alone or is macrotia surgery required?

Otoplasty revision

I recommend that you have an in person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options for your desired results. Pictures are not always a true reflection of your issue or concern. You may want to discuss your revision with the surgeon who did your original surgery.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty revision question

While photographs cannot take the place of an in-person evaluation, it would appear from the pictures provided that you may benefit from a revision. I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in-person evaluation and a discussion of your goals. This should help delineate your best course of action. Best of luck.

Otoplasty Revision

You may be a good candidate for revision.  However, it would be good to see your original pre-op pictures and examine you in person to prepare a plan.  With that said, it is perfectly normal for to have some space between your head and your ears.  Ears which appear pinned very tightly to the head look just as abnormal as prominent ears.  

David Shafer, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from revision otoplasty. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD