What options are best for reducing the appearance of a small, depressed surgical scar on the face?

About 15 months ago, a doctor performed a shave biopsy for a suspicious mark on my cheek. She told me it would be a superficial cut and there would be no scar, but she ended up going deep. There is a small, circular, depressed area which is quite visible in certain lighting. To make matters worse, there is a fleck of dark pigment in the center of the divot - which makes it look more depressed. How can I level out the skin, remove the dark fleck of pigment & make the area blend better?

Doctor Answers 4

Scar revision

You have a combination of two issues, the depressed scar and the residual pigmentation.  If the pigmentation isn't the core problem, some filler might be a first step intervention. If you aren't happy with the outcome, nothing will be lost. Formal scar revision would involve excision and replacement with a new, but longer scar, which would then go on to heal, hopefully without the depression left by the biopsy.  Given the location in the center of your cheek, you will have to weigh potential benefit against this. Best wishes.

Scar revision

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a scar revision. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 105 reviews

Scar Revision

So sorry you had this complication. Since over one year has passed, and if scarring and swelling has settled down, you should be able to undergo scar revision in the near future. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about scarring, as it may be helpful. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Redness after Biopsy

A combination of a filler such as Restylane and the V-Beam laser should be able to treat this area.  Please see a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.