What are my options for lip augmentation if I've had a poor reaction to Restylane? (Photo)

3 yrs ago had 1 syringe of Restylane injected into lips by respected, board-certified facial plastic surgeon. Lips had extreme, painful swelling (the last photo doesn't show how big they got). After 1 wk everything was gone, i.e. no results (family confirmed so not just my opinion). Doc said excessive swelling made me burn up all the material quickly - didn't say "allergic"- nothing he could do. What are my options for lip aug? Didn't like unnatural, forward pull of lips - can that be avoided?

Doctor Answers 4

Lip fillers

Some of my patients report the same experience.  One to two weeks after injection, they do not feel their lips look any different.  However your injector should be able to "feel" product in the lips and if so, then you need more injected to get your desired appearance.

Dr. Luong

Edina Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Lip Augmentation

It would be important to find out if you were "allergic" to the hyaluronic acid through skin testing.  Then I would consider Juvederm for your next injections.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Lip augmentation

Fillers can cause a lot of swelling in the lips.  This often subsides after a week or so.  If you like them at a week, then perhaps you just needed more filler. Other options are fat injections, but often this has to be repeated to get the desired final result due to absorption.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Lip Augmentation with Fat

You are correct to try to understand all ramifications of lip augmentation. It sounds like fat transfer from your tummy is your best option since you had a bad reaction to synthetic fillers. The procedure can be done under local in the office, and recent studies indicate that at least 50% of the fat remains permanently.  Costs vary, depending on geographical location and who is doing it. Board certified plastic surgeons may charge more, but you get what you pay for! You want to find a doctor who is conservative and experienced, so you look like you and not Michael Jackson! Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.