Open Incision site. Any suggestions?

I had male breast reduction liposuction surgery two weeks ago. I have 4 incision sites ( two very small sites below nipple and two very small sites at nipple height). The doctor told me that he used self dissolving stitches. One of the incision sites released some blood on day 11 post op and the stitch was detached leaving the wound open. I have been applying anti septic solution to it but the incision site doesn't seem to close off the surface and it is releasing blood every now and then.

Some Separated Wounds Can Be Re-closed Successfully

You have what is called a “wound dehiscence”, which simply  means that the wound edges have separated, leaving an open wound.  If the wound broke open due to accidental trauma or sutures coming undone, you can often have success in “steri-stripping” the wound closed using sterile medical tapes. If this works, the scar should be minimal.  On the other hand, if the wound separated on its own without
trauma or suture breakage, chances are there is an early infection or fluid
collection which the body is trying to rid itself of.  In that case, trying to reclose the wound is
actually counterproductive in that you will probably make things worse by closing
the infection inside of the body, instead of letting your body take care of it.

If the wound is infected, the key treatment is to leave it open with dressing changes and irrigations which dilutes out the bacteria, and then your body can deal more effectively with the remaining bacteria in the
wound.  In this case, the body will heal from the inside out, usually leaving a wider and darker scar.

I hope this helps answer your question.  Good luck!

Incision Sites and Healing from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery,. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

This will heal and close with time

clean the incision twice daily with dilute hydrogen peroxide and a thin coat of antibiotic ointment and it should heal in a few weeks without any problem.david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Incision issue

Best to review your problem in person.  You should see your surgeon.  Good luck with your results........