How noticeable are my uneven breasts? (Photo)

I think my breasts have always been *slightly* uneven, when I was breastfeeding my left was a little bigger. But I weaned over a year ago and lost a ton of weight, but in the passed 6 months I've gained 30+ lbs and I noticed that my left breast is lower and bigger than my right. Will this even out with weight loss do you think? I'm 24 and terrified of something sinister.

Uneven breasts

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Asymmetry between one's breasts is the norm and pregnancy, breast feeding and weight loss are factors that affect breast size and breast sag.  It is difficult to know what size your breasts will be following weight loss.  Best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon should you want to correct breast size or asymmetry.  Good luck.

Uneven breasts

All breasts are a bit asymmetric.  It is likely that if you did not have this before the weight gain, then if you lose weight it might be closer in volume. Difficult to say for sure.

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for asking about your breast asymmetry.

Our breasts are never symmetric and the asymmetry can change with pregnancy, weight gain/loss and menopause! Asymmetry does not of itself mean anything it wrong. It is normal. However if you are concerned about something being wrong. have your OB/GYN doctor check your breasts at your next visit.

Best wiishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

How noticeable are my uneven breasts?

Understand that 88% of women have asymmetrical breasts, so you are normal. Your asymmetry looks about average to me.

Breast Size and Weight Loss

Weight loss can affect size and shape of breasts.  However, it is quite individual, varying from person to person. I recommend trying to get to your desired weight and then evaluate your breasts. If you are displeased, seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast asymmetry after weight loss/breast feeding

Hello and thank you for your question.

I'd like to reassure you that there is nothing sinister going on here. Breast asymmetry is extremely common amongst women. In fact, people have asymmetries all over their body. Noone has an identical left and right side of the face, left and right hand, a belly button that is perfectly in the midline, or even two legs that are the EXACT same length. The changes that a woman's breasts undergo with weight fluctuations, hormonal changes, pregnancy, and breast feeding predispose their breasts to being the subject of significant asymmetry for most women who experience these processes.

There is no way to determine how asymmetric you will be with weight loss. The fact that you are young is a good thing in that you may still have some elastic properties in your breast skin and soft tissue. That being said, the only predictor is time. As far as "noticeability," you will likely be your worst critic and notice asymmetry more than anyone else from a conversational distance.

I would encourage you to lose your desired amount of weight in a safe and sustainable manner and maintain your goal weight for about three months. Once you have done that, you can decide on whether or not your are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts. If you are, seek a consultation with a well trained plastic surgeon who will spend the time to listen to your concerns and make a treatment plan together that works for you.

Good luck.

Joseph Brown, MD
Tampa Physician

Breast evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is extremely common and can be corrected with surgery if you desire.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Difficult to know

I would certainly encourage you to lose weight if this is your goal.  What will happen to your breasts is hard to predict.  Surgery can certainly help you improve symmetry.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Mammary asymmetry

Asymmetry is common. It cannot be corrected without a surgical procedure. If you are planning to have more children, it is best to wait until childbirth and breastfeeding have concluded before considering surgery.