How noticeable are my uneven breasts? (Photo)

I think my breasts have always been *slightly* uneven, when I was breastfeeding my left was a little bigger. But I weaned over a year ago and lost a ton of weight, but in the passed 6 months I've gained 30+ lbs and I noticed that my left breast is lower and bigger than my right. Will this even out with weight loss do you think? I'm 24 and terrified of something sinister.

Sisters, not twins

Breasts are always uneven.  They should be thought of as sisters, not twins.  Once you notice an asymmetry, it tends to become magnified.  As long as there is not a mass (have an exam with an appropriate medical professional if you are concerned), there is nothing to worry about.  If it is a small difference, it is best to accept it as it will never be absolutely even.  If there is a large difference, consider surgery with realistic expectations.

Boise Plastic Surgeon

Patients are not often even aware of their asymmetry and you are not that asymmetrical. The reported number of actually symmetrical breast in one study was 4%. You have to perform self examination regularly though and if areas are tender or firm you should see your medical doctor and have appropriate examination performed to rule out any possible concerns. There would be a low risk of any danger on the basis of your history though.

Hoe this helps.

Dr K Dolychuk

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry is normal

Breast size and shape asymmetry is very common. In fact, it is the norm. Nobody has two perfectly symmetrical breasts. There is always some asymmetry varying in degree.

It’s difficult to say how your breasts will change with weight loss, but if you plan to lose weight and reach a stable weight then it’s advisable to do so before you consider getting cosmetic breast surgery. That way, your results won’t be negatively affected.

How noticeable are my uneven breasts?

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Uneven or Asymmetrical Breasts

There are different categories of patients who receive breast asymmetry in their lives.

A woman who’s had a pregnancy; her breasts have either just deflated, or the skin has been stretched from pregnancy, and or breastfeeding. They may be in a lower position than she would like. By doing the breast lift, we can tighten the breast, tighten the breast skin, and put it into a more youthful position.

The other category includes patients who have had weight loss through either diet or surgical procedure. Many women will have breast deflation with #weightloss leading to #drooping or #ptosis.

The third category include #DevelopmentalBreastProblems.  I see young women that come to the office, and the two breasts are very asymmetric. One breast is lower than the other. There may be differences in size. Or there are certain conditions such as #tuberous breast deformity, where the breast has a more unusual shape. It may be very narrow at the base on the chest. The whole breast can be very narrow. There are different variations but basically, this is a growth and development problem that creates a great deal of angst for a young woman.

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast swithout reducing their size. It is used for #breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an #implant is used at the time of mastopexy.  This is called an #Augmentation/Mastopexy.  The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. 

#FatGrafting is another option to using #breastimplants and requires a small amount of liposuction to obtain the fat which is the prepared and transferred to the breast. 

A hybrid operation may use both an implant and fat to provide the best contours of the lifted breast.

Uneven breasts

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Asymmetry between one's breasts is the norm and pregnancy, breast feeding and weight loss are factors that affect breast size and breast sag.  It is difficult to know what size your breasts will be following weight loss.  Best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon should you want to correct breast size or asymmetry.  Good luck.

Uneven breasts

All breasts are a bit asymmetric.  It is likely that if you did not have this before the weight gain, then if you lose weight it might be closer in volume. Difficult to say for sure.

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for asking about your breast asymmetry.

Our breasts are never symmetric and the asymmetry can change with pregnancy, weight gain/loss and menopause! Asymmetry does not of itself mean anything it wrong. It is normal. However if you are concerned about something being wrong. have your OB/GYN doctor check your breasts at your next visit.

Best wiishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

How noticeable are my uneven breasts?

Understand that 88% of women have asymmetrical breasts, so you are normal. Your asymmetry looks about average to me.

Breast Size and Weight Loss

Weight loss can affect size and shape of breasts.  However, it is quite individual, varying from person to person. I recommend trying to get to your desired weight and then evaluate your breasts. If you are displeased, seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD