Nose job; what do you recommend? (Photo)

I always wanted to get rid of my nasal hump. I also lost sense of smell. Three years ago I had brain surgery, and of course scared of having nose job. What do you recommend?

Nasal hump...

According to your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for rhinoplasty with reduction of the hump. If you are healthy and cleared by your surgeon you should do just fine. It's normal to be nervous, but if you see a rhinoplasty surgeon with a lot of experience and photos to back it up, you can get a nice natural result.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose job; what do you recommend?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Dorsal Reduciton and Chin Implant

Based on you photos I feel that you have a slight facial imbalance produced by a prminant dorsal hump and a lack of chin projection. These issues could be addressed with a combination of a cosmetic rhinoplasty and a chin implant.

The rhinoplasty would include a dorsal hump reduction and refinement of your nasal tip. The chin implant would be inserted through a small incision under your chin to improve your chin projection.

See the link below.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Rhinoplasty for hump removal

thank you for your question and photos. A rhinoplasty is a safe procedure to remove the hump and balance the nose. There may be other changes to the nose that you want to make after a full assessment. See a rhinoplasty surgeon to get an opinion. Good luck. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate for dorsal hump removal

The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones are required to close the open roof created from the hump removal and to make the nose look more balanced. For more information  and many examples of dorsal  hump removal with closed rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

If you are medically stable and cleared by your internist and neurosurgeon, then you certainly can go ahead and have a rhinoplasty to remove your bump.

Rhinoplasty surgery is commonly performed to improve the appearance of a dorsal hump.

If your health is good, and if you have medical clearance for general anesthetic, rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for achieving a more feminine, and less distracting nasal appearance. Consider asking your internist and neurosurgeon whether elective rhinoplasty is feasible. After that, consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what to expect after nose job surgery. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photograph you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon