Will my nose bone grow back after dorsal hump removal? (photos)

I'm 18 years old, and I am not growing anymore. I did an informal consultation with my dad's friend who is a plastic surgeon. He said that because my nose bone causes the dorsal hump pictured below, even if he was to shave the bone down and remove some cartilage the *bone* would most likely grow back later. Does this sound right? I've read on other forums that it may be due to incomplete removal, but how exactly does this work? Should I trust this doctor or should I find someone new?

Bump growth after removal

The doctor who you consulted with gave  you wrong information. Probably because the surgeon did not want to do your nose. In a worman of  your age, nasal growth has ended, some years earlier. So there no fear of that. There can  be incomplete removal of the hump, a technical error,  which some docs  diagnose as :regrowth:

Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Usually a bump does not grow back...

A well performed rhinoplasty should be able to nicely remove that hump. Once the hump is removed, it almost always stays gone. There is only a rare formation of a small bone callous that may need an additional filing, but most of the time it is great. Be sure to find a rhinoplasty specialist for consultation.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump removal

No, once the dorsal hump is shaved down, it should not grow back especially if you are no longer growing yourself.  Best of luck.

Hello and thank you for your question.  The dorsum will not grow back.   Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Dorsal hump removal

The presence of a dorsal hump is due to both cartilage and bone.  Removing it is done essentially by filing down the bone and cutting the cartilage out.  It's a straightforward and powerful technique in rhinoplasty.  Although anything is possible in medicine and surgery, I have never heard of nasal bone or cartilage growing back in an adult.  That would be such an unusual event that it would probably be published as a case report.  If you decide to have your dorsal hump removed, I would not worry about it growing back.  Most importantly, In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best of luck,
Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Can a bump grow back after rhinoplasty surgery?

The good news is that results from bump removal in rhinoplasty are pretty much permanent.  Maybe if someone has surgery at a very young age  (under 15), they could see additional growth.  But most reputable surgeons would not operate on someone so young.
There are times when some scar tissue of shifting of bone or cartilage can result in a minor bump appearing, but this is very correctable and not a true re- growth.

Michael Suzman, MD

Does the nose bone regrow?

The short answer is basically no. Your surgeon cuts off the bump which is both bone and cartilage and then usually breaks the nose bones to narrow the bridge. If a bump appears after the swelling goes, it can be due to a few things but regrowth of the bone is very low on the list! I believe it does happen but rarely and it's very subtle.