Is it normal that my TT scar is more puckered now than a week ago? 12 days post op

I'm 12 days post op TT and a week ago my scar looked like a cleaner cut than it does today. It also looked like a thinner. It's more puckered than before. Is that normal? Shouldn't it look smoother as time goes on? Not more rough?

It can be normal for scarring to appear worse before it gets better.

Hello, and thanks for sharing your question. At 12 days post-op, you’re still quite early on in the recovery process, so changes in the appearance of your scar are to be expected. If puss, blood, pain or other signs of possible infection occur, be sure to contact your plastic surgeon. If, however, the scar looks healthy but is simply changing in color or texture, this can be very normal. Scars can take up to 18 months to fully mature, so it will smooth and fade over time. If the appearance of your scar is still bothering you after a few months, there are a variety of treatment options that can help to minimize its appearance. This is something that you can discuss with your plastic surgeon once you’ve recovered from your tummy tuck. My advice is to be patient with it, as your scar will likely diminish on its own. Best of luck!

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

TT Scar

Difficult to answer without a photo. Healing is variable. If you want a better response, please provide a photo.

Tummy tuck at 12 days

Swelling usually gets worse before it gets better.  You need to give it time to settle over time. This may take 4-6 months minimum.

Scars

Scarring is  a continually changing process until 1 years time.  It is normal for the scar to look worse before it looks better.  

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon