Muscle spasms after abdominoplasty?

I had a tummy tuck almost a year now. I have noticed that in the last few months am I am experiencing spasms on my right side of my belly in the mid region. I had muscle and hernia repair. I am wonderign what this might be?

Muscle spasms after abdominoplasty?

The tightening of the muscles or the hernia repair may play a role in the muscle spasms.  Muscle spasms can happen for many reasons.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Muscle spasms

Muscle spasms can happen for many different regions. if it persists, you might be best to see your doctor to be evaluated.

Muscle spasms one year after Tummy Tuck?

When a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) is performed part of the surgery involves sewing the rectus abdominus muscles back together in the midline of the abdomen. This involves suturing the muscles together, pulling them from the side of the tummy back to the middle. This also results in pulling of the nerves in the muscle as well, so that when additional stretching occurs across the tummy the nerves and muscles are pulled even harder, and this may result in the nerves and muscles being irritated and subsequently going into a spasm. Massage may help to stretch and relax the muscles and nerves. Occasionally Physical Therapy can help as well. Please discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon to find the right therapy to make you more comfortable.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Muscle spasms?

Thanks for these questions. Muscles spasms can happen with and without a history of tummy tuck. I believe it will be a good thing if you follow up with your plastic surgeon now that you're close to 1 year out. Having the hernia repair in addition to muscle plication can make the muscles a bit more sensitive. Speak with your plastic surgeon about activity, exercise and muscle spasms to see if there's any link. Best, Dr. ALDO :) 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Muscle spasms after abdominaplasty

Thank you for the question! It is rather difficult to fully assess your situation without in-person exam. It is not uncommon to experience muscle spasms after a tummy tuck as your sensory nerves regenerate following the surgery. It may take from 6 up to 12 months for your nerves to regenerate and swelling to subside. If post-operative discomfort persists one year after surgery, it is important that you alert your plastic surgeon to your concerns.  

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be the best way to assess your needs and obtain a reliable medical advice. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS