My mole has changed dramatically. Could this be cancerous?

I've had this mole under my ear for 20 years but over the past few months, regardless of how much I clean this newly formed crust; which started only a couple of months ago, it comes back in a few hours. It's more sensitive and far less benign than I'd thought originally

Mole removal in Los Angeles

A changing mole, or one that is crusting needs to be evaluated. Many of these changes may be indicative of precancerous changes. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Changing Mole

If your mole is changing you absolutely should consult a dermatologist to make sure that it is benign or to get the proper treatment if it is not.

Moles

It is hard to assess without a picture but if the mole looks dark and/or irregular and if it appeared suddenly or changed recently, it is best to get it looked at by your dermatologist and determine if a biopsy is needed. In addiiton, if there are any worrisome features or symptoms like itching, burning, pain or bleeding, do not hesitate and have it removed sooner than later. A consultation from your dermatologist and possible biopsy would give you a definitive answer if it is benign or cancerous and follow-up would be determined based on the result.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained dermatologist for appropriate care."

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Moles

If you have a mole that has changed in shape,size or color I would recommend you see a dermatologist for an evaluation.

Hope this helped.