What happens to medpor/porex over time in the nose?

Pls don't simply tell me to use natural cartilage. Due to health issues I want to use medpor/remaining ear cartilage,not rib. I feel in the right hands medpor can be safe. Many surgeons told another realself user medpor "will not last a lifetime". Unless it is exposed to open air or becomes infected, why would that be? Does it erode? Break down? become soft? "https://www.realself.com/question/Rhinoplasty-medpor-implant-nose-bridge-tip #rhinoplasty #implant #porex #medpor #time #longevity

Nasal surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Many surgeons do not like to use prosthetic material in the nose because it has a very high risk of exposure and infection leading to explantation and scar tissue over time.  You would receive much better advice with an in-person consultation so your nose can be evaluated by an expert.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Medpor implants

Medpor implants can last a lifetime, but they have a much higher risk of infection than opposed to cartilage.  Best of luck.