Can Self-Massage to Restylane 5-7 weeks after injection, cause swelling/pain? Or is this infection?

Received 1 syringe restylane to N/Ls, marionette lines, lips, 11's, 7 weeks ago. 4.5 weeks ago got addtl syringe Resty Silk, same areas. My N/L's feel overfilled, a ridge of the product lateral to N/L exacerbates orig line; also a lump in marionette area. Don't want to use hyaluronidase. Last night tried massaging both areas firmly. Today woke up with swelling and soreness at massage sites. Did I move product? Is this a sign of infection? Or is this just swelling due to trauma of massage?

Massage of Restylane

There would be no reason to massage a product so many weeks later.  You definitely can cause irritation or trauma.  I would immediately return to your treating physician for examination.  If there are areas that need "massage" so far out of treatment then they need to be dissolved with Vitrase.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Massage of Restylane Silk

Typically you cannot massage down HA products at 4 weeks so you probably just caused some trauma to your tissues.  If you have complaints about your result, check in with your surgeon to see what can be done.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Swelling?

While it sounds likely that the massage may have caused the swelling, it is hard to say and one must be evaluated in person if you have concerns. Best of luck.

Restylane Silk / Tear Troughs /Nasal labial folds/ Lip Augmentation/ Hyaluronic acid fillers

I appreciate your question.

Please follow up with Injecting MD for evaluation and appropriate treatment at this time.  This many weeks post injection, massage should not be needed and the areas should be dissolved with hyaluronidase.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Massaging and restylane silk

It is difficult to say without an in office consultation to be able to say if this is just trauma from massaging or an infection.  Generally, an infection can appear red, slightly swollen, and painful.  Swelling may not appear as red or painful.  It is best to see your treating physician for an examination.  Best wishes to you!

Natalie Attenello, MD